Logo

Gear shift issue on Mercruiser with Alpha 0ne drive and MPC 4000 Gen 2 shift controller

dmoccia7

Got on the water and could not get it into gear ( prop not engaging). Neither forward nor reverse. Played around with it at the boat ramp and seemed to be related to the throttle only button. I could get the drive into the gear position with the shift lever but it still would not engage the prop. After I got home I played with it and the throttle only button was real loose at times and after pushing the lever back and forth the button would have a spring motion which is what I would expect but as I continued to play with the lever some more the button would get lose again. At one point while I had the lever pushed back in reverse I was able to turn prop ccw and then cw with ratchet sound. Then I put it in forward and the prop just turned freely both CCW and CW. But after playing around further pushing lever forward and backward prop would turn freely again regardless of the lever position. I recently had to replace the slave solenoid and in order to do it I had to disconnect the gear shift assembly from the engine, but I'm certain that I put it back exactly as it was before so I really don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Any way it will be my project for the week. I really think the problem is probably in my remote control (MPC 4000 Gen 2). ANYWAY, I'm a DIY guy and love a challenge!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Got on the water and could not get it into gear ( prop not engaging).
first time this season and last year was fine ?

You can disconnect the lower shift cable at shift plate on engine can shift the lower fwd/N/ R to isolate if it is shifter or other part of the system issue

Got on the water and could not get it into gear ( prop not engaging).
first time this season and last year was fine ?
got it resolved. Did something stupid: removed the gear shift assembly from engine to access the slave solenoid and when I reinstalled the assembly I (somehow??) failed to put the gear shift cable back onto the stud which goes behind the assist. I took it off yesterday and after installing it and replacing the assist it worked perfectly. Live and Learn I guess.

Been that way for me plenty of times…just need to slow down sometimes instead of rushing. Like I said “lesson learned”.
We have all been there. You leave these things and to retrace your steps over years of skinning your knuckles.

Back