Logo

1973 65hp mercury doesnt get spark to plugs, motor turns over, no start

is this motor one you have owned for a while and used it and got good past performance?this has nothing to do with firing but the very first thing i would check is the compression before i decided to spend any money on it or not...what you have is a 3 cylinder with only 2 carbs...

I've tried everything you gentleman have suggested. I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the distributor. I understand they can be quite expensive. i really appreciate all the help I have given so far.

Will that spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more ?-----Is the carbon contact ok in the distruibutor cap ?----The rotor may be bad and grounded to the rotor shaft ( check with an ohmeter ) and I do not believe the rotor can be replaced.---Rotor is part of the shaft.------------Used parts may be available and it depends a great deal on where you are located.

Thankyou racerone and the rest of you gentleman. You have been agreat help. I hope i can find parts for a reasonable price. On a fixed income, so i will see what I can scrounge. Thanx again.

If you're getting spark at the coil, but not at the plugs, you might have a bad carbon in hte distributor cap. Remove the band, drop the cap, and see if the carbon in the center of the cap is still there (and springs back when you push on it).

Jeff

Jeff, thankyou for tyhe advice. This is the first time I've had so much help on a thread. Looking to get this motor working safely and properly. Will be used for the Boy Scouts when does. All you guys are pretty cool. thanx again

Back