Logo

1985 FT9.9EXK.... no uplock?

Rol1964

I picked this used motor up for a song. Got it running with a new fuel pump kit and now I want to put it on my sailboat as the shaft is longer than the Evinrude I currently use and this will be a benefit when the waves start to grow.
But...I see that there is no way to up-lock the motor which is best practice (drag reduction) once the sails are hoisted. Is this the correct set up or has someone possibly butchered the bracket? The only way to prop the motor up is with a short spring loaded bolt on one side but that looks very insufficient considering it's a fairly heavy motor. There's 2 x Crowley parts fisches, one shows a part which I don't seem to have but that part appears to have only one up position. The other bracket fische shows what I have. Canadian motor.
First post.
New to this forum.
Thanks for any insight.
Rol1964

It locks yes, but only in down position. So my question is: could this motor have been designed without the option of one handed retraction / uplock? Or is the tilt rod assembly (#5 in the diagram) the actual uplock?...ie: pull the motor up with one hand, pull out the rod and replace it to a higher level with one other hand...might be kinda hard to do if you're bouncing around in a good swell. It seems to me that the fine folks at Yamaha would have engineered this a little better. But this is my 1st Yamaha outboard...maybe this is what it appears to be. Thanks again for your insight.

Back