Logo

Feels like a stretch?

Jamespio

I've been working for a couple years on a 1966 or so SabreCraft, with an identical vintage Mercruiser package including the GM inline 6. It's been nothing but a PITA, but I'm too dumb to quit.

I got the boat in early '22, tuned it up, got it running, put maybe 10 hours on the engine (during which I had a lot of fun). Not surprisingly, it still had some hiccups. Both ignition and fuel mixing were problematic and after it died on the water twice I put it away for the season. Winter of '23 I upgraded to a knock-off HEI system, rebuilt the carb and as part of addressing fuel system problems I found and installed period appropriate mechanical water pump, and replaced all the fuel line from the water/fuel separator/filter to the carb. What I did not do was drain and replace the fuel as part of either my winterizing or de-winterizing tasks.

After all this work, the engin ran as well as a 50-year old pickup truck engine can run. For about another two hours. And when it died on me again, and after I diagnosed that fuel was not getting through the fuel pump and to the carb (even after I replaced the fuel pump with another new fuel pump), I put the boat away again. It's spring, and hope springs eternal right? I'd still like to get her on the water.

I just had this thought and kind of smackd my own forehead. I replaced the fuel filter/separator in '22, ran the hboat ten hours or so, parked. The fuel sat in the tank, with a generous serving of Sta-bil fuel additive ove rthe winter of '22-23. I got at most another hour or two of use, and then lost fuel. Could the filter clog up in that short amount of use where I (like an idiot, I know) left several gallons of fuel in the tank over the winter? I can't remember preciselyh, but on this occasion I think I was forced by circumstances to use an ethanol-added fuel, which I usually avoid. So, is it a stretch to think 12 hours of use (at the most) could clog the filter and that all I need is a clean filter?

I mean, I'll find out soon enough, as the replacement filter will be delivered tomorrow. But curious what this august group thinks.

!. The water separating filter is NOT a fuel filter. Its designed to separate water from the fuel. Yes it will filter larger particulates but not all.

2. 1966 boat would say to me you have either a steel or fiberglass gas tank. Which is it?

3. does your gas tank have a Anti siphon fuel fitting? Not sure they were required in 1966 but check for it (fuel fitting with a spring loaded check ball).

4. Have you looked inside the gas tank? The pick up tube may have had a screen attached which may not be attached any longer and floating in the gas tank and may be clogging the pick up tube.

5. You can install a real fuel filter in the fuel line if you need one.

That all for now.....

!. The water separating filter is NOT a fuel filter. Its designed to separate water from the fuel. Yes it will filter larger particulates but not all.

2. 1966 boat would say to me you have either a steel or fiberglass gas tank. Which is it?

3. does your gas tank have a Anti siphon fuel fitting? Not sure they were required in 1966 but check for it (fuel fitting with a spring loaded check ball).

4. Have you looked inside the gas tank? The pick up tube may have had a screen attached which may not be attached any longer and floating in the gas tank and may be clogging the pick up tube.

5. You can install a real fuel filter in the fuel line if you need one.

That all for now.....
I understand the separator's function, I would point out however that Quicksilver, the company that I think designed this object, and definitely the one that still makes (has made) and sells these items explicitly calls it a "water separating fuel filter" which is why I deignated the item as I did. It IS a fuel filter whether you liek to believe that or not. It's just not a very good one for anything other than water. The internet tendency to lecture people that are believed to be less informed than one's self is irritating even when it's correct.

Stainless tank. No anti-siphon. No screen on the pickup, the pickup is lightly corroded but not blocked, and I do have a fuel filter installed downstream of the water separating fuel filter (did you ever notice that on the packaging, Quicksilver highlights and all caps the words "fuel filter" but not the words "water separating?").

So my question remains, because I didn't get to that project this week: is it possible for the water separating fuel filter to become clogged if we assume bad gas, accumulated crap in the gas tank, and something less than a dozen hours of run time?

Back