Logo

Gas getting into oil on mfs8a3

bakerjw

Good day, all. I have a long shaft Tohatsu 8HP 4 stroke that I use as a kicker on my center console. The other day it started acting funny so I checked the oil and found it to have gas in it.
Drained the oil, filled it with new and put in new plugs while I was at it. Started great and ran fine. After running great for a few hours today, I found it to have gas in the oil again.
I surmise that if it were a stuck float in the carb, it would start flooding and run like garbage.
My suspicion is that the fuel pump is leaking gas into the crank case.

Anyone have this happen or can provide any guidance?

found the thread

Paul, great insight. I had not considered pressurizing the system with the bulb but I do know that it has gotten pressure from the tank on occasion.

As it is the first suspect, I went ahead and ordered an OEM pump early in the week. I wasn't going to run with a cheap Chinese knock off for $20.00. What sucks is that I was on the coast on a trip. Had to use the big outboard for trolling but still limited on Spanish 2 days in a row.

FWIW... I love this little 8 horse kicker. We use it for slow trolling lake trout on Watauga Lake and call it out little sewing machine because it sits back there and just chugs away.

Back