Logo

Model 200 20hp Transom clamp

DougWP

Hi there.
First time poster....

I have a couple of Model 200 outboards I was hoping to make a decent runner of.

First problem on my list is the tiller handle base is hitting and rubbing on the top of the transom clamp.

Im new to working on these old girls so I have no idea exactly what is the trouble.
The swivel has some play but its not that serious .

I am leaning towards the theory that there are rubber mounts that have worn out and the this allowing the engine to sit lower than it should....

Any advice on how I could shim this problem away or links to where I can find the appropriate replacement rubbers.
Engines are Canadian Mercs, made in the 70s .

Merc doesn't even list parts for these, a dealer would likely turn me away.

Sold by Johns Jaworsky outboard motor...

That dealer is long gone lol

Why would you say parts are not listed.???----Listed right here with a few clicks on this page.-----Northern Ontario is fairly big I heard.

Why would you say parts are not listed.???----Listed right here with a few clicks on this page.-----Northern Ontario is fairly big I heard.
I just did a search
Looking for parts and manuals the website associated with this forum said parts are unavailable

The right thing to do is break down the date and serial number for a Canadian
Built Merc 200.

But I’m new at this and looking for quick answers
Rather sloppy on my part
But I have two motors that spear to hav the same issue so I gambled there may be a quick reply with what’s going on here and why

Yes Ontario is a big place
How about north eastern Ontario then lol
The Nickel city…

I just went back for a third look
There are sone rubber mounts and bushings available

Maybe I was looking at the wrong engine

I’m just going to hang back and see if there are. Other replies

Two engines with the same symptom is that a fluke ?
Hopefully others familiar with this can share some info and explain this to me
Perhaps it’s an adjustment issue
Maybe if I have the engine on the transom and trimmed correctly I can measure the gaps and look for a way to shim this for needed clearance

YA pin IS NOT in...
Feeling pretty silly now I see what the boy did he put it on the stand and the pin is in the grass.
It was dark I should have noticed and likely once trimmed correctly its not a problem...

Water pump Impeller has been replaced, as for the other its an unknown I will tackle when I get engine Number one running..

Question:
Two blade VS three blade props.
What are the differences Since I have one of each...

Why feel silly? You had no idea...The proper response is.. Thanks for saving me from buying motor mounts and complete teardown trying to figure out what is going on with these two engines. Blame the boy...

Look up your serial #

Why feel silly? You had no idea...The proper response is.. Thanks for saving me from buying motor mounts and complete teardown trying to figure out what is going on with these two engines. Blame the boy...
Uh Yes?

Absolutely blame the boy ( man now )
The Sled that went down the road without snow after warning him there was not enough snow...
The pull cords pulled out of mowers on days he did not want to mow.
The dents, torsion bar links, ball joints and one blown engine that were the result of learning to drive.

These are the things you learn as a father, You can blame the boy lol.....
I love my now grown son, but he a still has a lot to learn, and I am still learning with him...

Yes thank you for your advice fellows.

Look up your serial #
I got a manual for it.
This is my first Merc.
I had some old OMC products and a Chrysler that were very uncomplicated.

Look up your serial #

I have some serial numbers 7062291 and 4713781

I found these were sold by John Jawarsky boat and motor, I guess sometimes in the mid 70s.
I phoned my Dad because I recall he worked for that guy at some times in the 50s or 60s but he did not have much to add other than they are Brunswick engines unlike the ones her worked on.
He said to expect some unusual things from them aircraft like safety wire and stuff, and he said they might be Headless ( he appears to be correct ) with Phelon Ignition ( thats something I know form Kohler electric plants made the 50s ) but I think these are CDI units maybe with points maybe not...

Flying Scott...
My Dad worked there too at the factory In LA just after Mac bought out Scott Atwater ( and I remember he had one at camp when I was young )
My Dad built and serviced military engines for Drones as well as did factory recall work.
He liked that Job...

Back