Logo

Replacing heads 14101081 with heads 14102193 on a Mercruiser V8 5.0L

I have a 33 year old Bayliner boat with a 5.0L Mercruiser V8. I bought it a year and a half ago. Last summer I rode it with friends, children and grandchildren, but not for long. Water has entered the engine. In cylinders 1 and 3.
An autopsy revealed that the head gasket was broken and both heads were bent. 2-4-6-8 is less, and 1-3-5-7 is more. Additionally, the 1-3-5-7 head has a crack running straight through the cylinder 5 exhaust valve seat.
Both castings have part number 14101081. Used GM V8 parts are very hard to find in my country. Because there are not many of these cars either. That's why I can't find head 14101081 yet. But I found two heads 14102193 in decent condition. I already read on the Corvette forum that these are TBI swirl heads. And that they are criticized for not allowing the engine to rev above 5000. But for the Mercruiser you don’t need that much.
I also found information that both my 14101081 and 14102193 have a 58 cc chamber. The exhaust valve is the same, 1.5. My intake valve is 1.84, and on the head 14102193 it is 1.94. But I also discovered that on 305 engines the exhaust valve is sometimes bored to 1.94 for better purging. So it's not scary either.
But I still haven't found the answer to the most important question: can TBI swirl heads be used on a carburetor engine?
Will my carbureted Mercruiser V8 5.0L work if I replace the 14101081 heads with 14102193? Of course I'll get these heads in order.

Based on what I am reading online and I saw your post on a auto forum site.

The only issue of concern is the intake manifold bolt holes.

You must confirm they are the same as the original heads otherwise you will need a matching intake manifold.
Same number of mounting holes and same angle (vertical or angled).

As this is a 305 with a 2 bbl carb you most likely will not see any difference in performance under 5000rpm.

A lot of the negative comments on the Auto forums are related to higher performance not stock performance.

Also try to get merc marine head gaskets or Felpro marine head gaskets.

Dear kghost! Please accept my deep gratitude for your answer. Following your advice, I asked the seller for additional photos with the intake manifold bolts installed. And when I was convinced that they were located in the same way as on my cylinder head 14101081, I bought these cylinder head 14102193. They are already on their way to me.
I also made sure that the intake valves on these heads are 1.94 inches. Because someone could have previously drilled them to a larger size.
Unfortunately, the supplier had previously sold valves from these cylinder heads. I will install my own exhaust valves, they are the same. And I need to find the intake valves - 1.94 inches. If you can give me their OEM number it will make my task much easier.

Sorry, I do not have that kind of information. it would be best to speak with a knowlegable engine builder.

Most on this site fix problem, not do engine rebuilding but if they do and the parts are original mercruiser, then parts are listed on this site. But I am not sure they list by head casting numbers....

What is needed is the original serial number of the engine those 2193 heads came from.

One thing, many gm blocks of the same vintage use all the same basic parts so the valve stems will most likely be the same, just need the valve face diameter.

These should be correct intake valves

I did a search and it appears these castings -2193 are '85 - mid to late '90's.
Based on some of the reading on web sites I have done for this post, there may be a difference in combustion CC's between the two heads.
If you can I would CC both heads to be sure. If I remember what I read, it said the -2193 casting with the larger valve (1.94 intake) may have a larger CC then the original (1.84 intake). The information suggested that the 305 heads had 58cc's vs the 350 heads with the larger intake valve had ~64+ cc's

I am attaching a image from the Mercruiser service manual that shows the Valve specification for 305 and 350 engines.
It appears the valves have the same sizes for 305 and 350 except the Valve seat diameter EX: 1.84 vs 1.94.

Hope this helps.

1985-1992 GM Mercruiser Valave specifications.jpg

Back