Logo

1970 60 hp carb kit ?

48tony

Regular Contributor
hi guys. i have carb kits for a 60 esl 1970.there is one part that seems not to fit right.it is called the bearing needle valve. it is a small plastic cone that goes over the needle.mind you i am not talking about the retainer that seats at the base of carb. this part i am in qus of goes deep into the carb were the needle seats.when i go to screw the needle in the plastic cone seems not to let the needle catch threads.i gave a little tap on the needle and it found threads. just seems to me it is a odd fit. when i tore the 3 carbs down only the center carb had this part in it. can some one tell me if i am doing something wrong.or do these bearings even need to be used on this aplication . there are a few extra parts in this kit that are not needed on my carbs.may these be added to extra pieces. thank you tony

Re: 60 hp carb kit ?

Yes, those small white nylon bushings are used on all of those carburetors (1970 60hp). Look closely within the carburetors as I suspect the old ones are still in there and the new ones are bumping into the old ones.

Either use the old ones or remove the old ones using a very small tap that is just big enough to grab the inside of the bushings, then yank them out.

The other extra pieces in the kit are used for other model carburetors (universal kit).

joe i took my time to make sure the old ones were out of the air chamber in the carb. it seems only the mid carb had this part installed. the other 2 had nothing.i put the new ones in this mornin and i think i will be ok.after seating the needle at full depth they seem to feel ok. what do these parts do. it seems to be a odd part.i would think the needleand seat would be metal to metal.

On some carburetors, that contact is metal to metal but not on those. The purpose of that small bearing is to keep the long needle tapered end of the needle valve from viberating. If missing, the engine's viberation causes the needle tip to viberate against the aluminum casting, resulting in wearing a groove in the tapered portion.

Back