Logo

1972 125 Johnson Telltale

48tony

Regular Contributor
I just acquired a 1972 125 Johnson. After getting it up and running I would like to do a retrofit telltale. I recently did one on a 1970 60 HP where it was a simple plug that I had to take out and add a nipple to add a water line onto it. This motor being a V4 seems to not have any. After speaking a few people they said to drill into VERNATHERM - T stat. I am little skeptical upon how to do this. One guy said that when you drill into it you need to drill the cover plate then the drill will go even deeper into the second plate This is where I am a bit skeptical. Maybe someone has done this retrofit and can chime in on this. Also, I am unsure of what size fitting to use for this application. I am thinking a 1/4" bronze or brass barbed fitting to accept a rubber hose will be adequate. I am sure I can get everything I need at the auto parts store to do this telltale application. I just want to make sure I do this correctly using the proper size and not to lose back pressure on the cooling system. Also, on the VERNATHERM is there a desired side to drill on? I'm thinking the starboard side of the motor so I can route the rubber hose out of the lower cowling.

Drilling into the thermostat housing ???---------Where are these people from ??-----------Look for the plug in the water jacket and install the fitting there !!!

Drilling into the thermostat housing ???---------Where are these people from ??-----------Look for the plug in the water jacket and install the fitting there !!!

Racer thank you for the quick reply. Obviously, the drilling into the housing is a "no no" by the sounds of it. Glad I checked on the site before drilling. After your reply I went out and inspected the two water jackets to find no obvious plugs to add a telltale. I assume I need to drill one. And again where should I drill on the jacket. I would like to drill the starboard side bank as it would be easier to route the hose to the lower cowling. Like I said in my last post I did the retrofit on a 1970 60HP which was very easy as it was the plug on the top of the block adjacent to the head. I routed it out the port side and it is hard to see it when running on the lake. This one will go on the starboard. Again do you have any suggestions on what size line I should run. I'm thinking 1/4" will be sufficient. Thanks again, Tony

well I looked every were on this motor for a threaded plug to add a tell tail. I took pitchures to send but it will not allow me to do so what do I need to do to send pitchures on post.

Looked at a 73 block and the spot where the plug used to be is still on the casting.---That is where you would drill for a 1/8" pipe fitting.-----Maybe this plug was eliminated sometime in the 72 model year.

Last edited:
Back