Logo

1975 70 hp Evinrude stalls in gear

ajsupra

Hey everyone,

I have a 1975 70 hp Evinrude which is stalling as soon as the throttle is opened when in gear. In the water it starts slightly hard, and it'll idle in gear/neutral fairly reliably, but as soon as you apply any load to the motor it stalls instantly. Run it on muffs and its perfect... starts beautifully and idles smoothly.

It doesn't sputter and die or run rough, it simply stalls.

This motor is unknown to us, as we bought it from an owner who had stored it for years.

After we purchased it, it did not crank. Easy fix, the power pack was toast. Threw an extra one in and it fired up.

I then rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the floats, replaced the lines with urethane fuel lines and replaced the fuel pump. All the old rubber gaskets and lines were sticky and soft and gross.

We found the timer base lever was previously broken and repaired (poorly) so we replaced the timer base with a known good unit from an old parts motor that ran normally.

We found the ignition coils all cracked, so again, we replaced them with known good coils from the parts motor. We have NOT yet checked spark quality using the preferred method of a 7/16" gap.

Compression is 110, 110, 108.

Provided we have proper spark when testing on the muffs, is it safe to say the stator is ok? The reason I ask is, because we had a broken timer base (it showed evidence of rubbing on the flywheel) that perhaps whomever repaired it (or broke it) back in the day damaged the stator as well.

We don't have a DVOM here at the lake, so I can't check the power pack output to the coils until the next trip out. I do however have a complete electrical system off the old parts motor that we could use for testing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Aaron

You say "as soon as you apply any load to the motor it stalls instantly."

If you didn't carefully clean the high speed jet that is located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber (way in back of the drain screw/bolt) with a piece of single strand wire, do so. Fuel must flow freely through that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway.

You say "as soon as you apply any load to the motor it stalls instantly."

If you didn't carefully clean the high speed jet that is located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber (way in back of the drain screw/bolt) with a piece of single strand wire, do so. Fuel must flow freely through that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway.

Joe, thanks for the tip.

I pulled all the high speed jets and all looked a-ok. Cleaned them with wire regardless and reinstalled.

The funny moment came when I pulled the float drain on cylinder 1... No fuel came out.

Found that the float "clip" provided by Sierra had actually got hung up on the casting and stuck the float closed.

Quick adjustment to all carbs and she's running beautiful.

Thanks so much for your help and time!

-Aaron

Back