Logo

1984 Evinrude 60hp. 2 cyl. power issues

Stephen Gageant

Hi all,
First post here hopfully you all can help me.
I have a 1984 evinrude 60hp twin (2 stroke) ran it 2 years no issues, last year lost the pinion gear under full power.
Many pieces, no damage to the lower unit housing. Replaced pinoin gear set ( it did seem a little tight when spinning drive shaft).

Thats the back story,

The issue, ever since lower end rebuilt, when it goes to about half throttle total lose of power.
Now I did adjust cables after lower end reinstalled. Though it may be bad gas so replaced gas with fresh non-eithanol 90 octane.
replaced several fuel lines, replaced main fuel line and primer ball. Took carburators off disasembled and cleaned everything.
Test run same problems. Worried maybe magents jumped when drive blew took off fly wheel and check magnets and stators all looked good.
At idle in driveway put a timing light on it and checked timing, adjusted to 3 degrees before top dead. (it was like 3 degrees after top dead, the side with no timing marks). Test run on lake to adjust high side on timing and boat is still doing same thing. total lose of power after half throtle.

Might some thing in lower end be binding up and killing power under load ? it rev's and runs fine until under load??

Also anyone know what the timing should be ?
model E60ELCR

Thanks, Steve

If you are not sure of things, do not adjust idle timing on these motors.-----Timing normally does not go out of adjustment.-----Post actual compression values first.

Hi all,
First post here hopfully you all can help me.
I have a 1984 evinrude 60hp twin (2 stroke) ran it 2 years no issues, last year lost the pinion gear under full power.
Many pieces, no damage to the lower unit housing. Replaced pinoin gear set ( it did seem a little tight when spinning drive shaft).

Thats the back story,

The issue, ever since lower end rebuilt, when it goes to about half throttle total lose of power.
Now I did adjust cables after lower end reinstalled. Though it may be bad gas so replaced gas with fresh non-eithanol 90 octane.
replaced several fuel lines, replaced main fuel line and primer ball. Took carburators off disasembled and cleaned everything.
Test run same problems. Worried maybe magents jumped when drive blew took off fly wheel and check magnets and stators all looked good.
At idle in driveway put a timing light on it and checked timing, adjusted to 3 degrees before top dead. (it was like 3 degrees after top dead, the side with no timing marks). Test run on lake to adjust high side on timing and boat is still doing same thing. total lose of power after half throtle.

Might some thing in lower end be binding up and killing power under load ? it rev's and runs fine until under load??

Also anyone know what the timing should be ?
model E60ELCR

Thanks, Steve
Compresssion
#1 - 152 psi
#2 - 154 psi

Run with a timing light ( 1 cylinder at a time ) to verify spark going from idle to full throttle.---Check fuel pump diaphragm.-----Does primer bulb go hard when you squeeze it?-----Are both carburetors going full open ?

Run with a timing light ( 1 cylinder at a time ) to verify spark going from idle to full throttle.---Check fuel pump diaphragm.-----Does primer bulb go hard when you squeeze it?-----Are both carburetors going full open ?
Primer ball gets hard, both carbs open full. carb sinc looks perfect closed to open. Have not checked spark thru full rpm range, i'm betting fuel pump diaphram may be a big part if issue, have not checked it, but screen gasket is in need of replacement. Will order rebuild/gasket kit. Thanks, for the help will keep this updated.

Back