Logo

1989 Johnson 60hp, overcharging battery

WernerF

Contributing Member
ok, starting a new thread:

I have a 1989 60hp Johnson which is equipped with a 6A stator and the simple round three-lead rectifier (plus ground on case). At high rpms the battery voltage slowly rises up to 16V. No maintenence free batteries are available from anywhere, so I have to regulate the battery voltage by switching on the position lights in order not to make my VHF radio switch off with an overvoltage message.
Can someone recommend a combination rectifier/regulator to replace the old rectifier with? What about proper cooling of the regulator? Are there any side effects to the ignition or tach?

Thanks for help!

wernerf is your rectofier omc part number 0580841 0580795 I beleve we both need the same part that can retro fit correctlly.i see that there are regulater/rectofiers out there butt what part number s are in qustion to me. yours is a1989 and mine is a 1970 allso i have the 9 amp stator vs your 6 amp hopefully some one can give us the part numbers we need if this overcharging problem can be fixed by adding a regulator vs turning every thing on when we want to go wide open

48tony,
the rectifier is a #582399 (BRP parts catalog) which is not available anymore and replaced by #583408 (MarineEngine parts catalog).
The stator should be a #583779 (BRP parts catalog, 6A says the OMC repair manual, i haven't removed the flywheel yet) which is also not available anymore and replaced by #584766 and #763762 (9A types, MarineEngine parts catalog).

The new regulator should be capable of regulating 9A, then I can keep it if the stator needs to be replaced someday.

Just my 2 cents and experience learned. I have a 83 Johnson 60 I purchased awhile back. I put the Biggest, Baddest Marine Battery in that I could find.

I learned Bigger is not better. This motor had the OEM charging setup in it. At 1/2 throttle and up the Volts would run up to 17 volts on the dash gauge / 16.4 with a meter connected to the battery.

The Factory manual for this motor states a battery capacity of:

360 amperes cold cranking rating and 115 minuets reserve capacity.

Put a Wall Mart battery in with specs of 525 AH. Problem went down a bit as far as the over voltage. Put a lower rated battery in closer to the Manual specs and the charging system got back into the ball park. Here is the link from 2006 on the Problem. :

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?24564-1983-johnson-60-Hp

These charging systems trying to charge a Maintenance Free or Mega Battery will go above and beyond to get these newer / larger capacity batteries charged.

Again, just my 2 cents and Lessons Learned. :)

Semi_retired:
Just made this comment in another post:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?393572-how-to-regulate-voltage

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: how to regulate voltage[/h] It is a common problem, and it mainly started with the introduction of the 'maintenance free' batteries that had reduced internal leakage resulting in voltage build up. I do not know how many burned out trim instruments I changed late 80, beginning 90 due to this.

Back