Logo

1995 200 Evinrude won’t throttle up when cold, okay when warm

Hard Times

When I first launch the boat and head out, my 1995 200 Evinrude spits and sputters and cuts out and won’t go on plane. I have to slowly increase the throttle until it finally catches up and takes off. After that, it’s fine the rest of the day. Next launch, same thing. Replaced fuel pump, plugs and cleaned carbs, in place. No help. Suggestions?

Checked flywheel key and magnets ?------Post the actual compression values here.-----Checked the plastic float bowls on carburetors ?---They often warp.----And run with a timing light 1 cylinder at a time to see if there are ignition issues.-------And how do you clean carburetors " in place " ?-----Perhaps throttle plates are opening too early.-----Thermostats checked ?

Have not pulled flywheel, have no way to check compression, if floats were warped, wouldn't it run bad all the time and not just once a day? Will do the timing light as soon as I can find mine, cleaned carbs in place by removing drain screws and squirting carb cleaner in the two accessible holes, (half ass I know but I keep going back to this happens only once a day), don't know what throttle plates are, thermostats a good possibility, maybe affecting cold start -- I'll get two new ones. Thanks for responding.

Back