Logo

1998 Yamaha 115 High RPM overheat

I've been struggling with this for years. It's a great running motor. Fires right up and runs great. It will get up to 5,000 RPM's quickly and with little effort, but it'll also overheat in a matter of minutes. I've recently replaced the entire water pump, removed thermostats and replaced the pressure relief valve and spring. I removed and cleaned cylinder heads and covers and and all inside water jackets and replaced with new gaskets. I'm hoping this will do the trick. I ran the motor on muffs for about 30 minutes today and used an infrared thermometer to monitor temperatures. The port side maintained a temperature of 110-115, and the starboard side was at 120-125. Are these pretty normal idling temperatures? I did not do this test before I did all the work, so I don't know if this is an improvement. I also have no idea if this in any way reflects what will happen when I get it out on the water and open it up and run WOT. I also removed the exhaust cover and cleaned that out really well too. Let me know if you have any ideas on what I might be missing please.
Thanks,

Back