Logo

1999 Johnson 40hp Lower drive shaft bearing

omc_10

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I do not have the spe

Hey guys I do not have the special tool required to take out this bearing any little tricks to rigging up my own? And also when putting in the new bearing is there any measurments it should be set at or should I just mark the old one then take it out and put new one in.

Sorry guys it is the lower dri

Sorry guys it is the lower drive shaft bearing that is near the pinion gear.

Sorry I was not being specific in the last post.

Any suggestions please?

"i have a 1970 4 hp. evinrude

"i have a 1970 4 hp. evinrude and after it runs for about 30 min, it appears to get hot and stalls i have checked and there is a fine mist comming out of the back what do you think is the problem"

""i have a 1970 4 hp. evin

""i have a 1970 4 hp. evinrude and after it runs for about 30 min, it appears to get hot and stalls i have checked and there is a fine mist comming out of the back what do you think is the problem"

What is the relevance of this to Logan D's question about removing replacing the pinion bearing in his 40hp.

If you have question of your own start a new topic with it. Don't hijack someone else's thread. (If it's overheating. When did you last replace the pump impeller, maybe the cooling passages are blocked, I dont think it has a thermostat, if its generally abit sick the head gasket may have failed. it may nave now anyway! If its just quitting after 30 mins have you checked the tank vent)

Sorry Logan D I cant really help you its not a job I have had to do. Can you improvise an extractor with a long bolt, a washer below the bearing, a spacer and another washer above.

Putting in the new one I'd warm the gearcase in hot water then it should drop in easily ... perhaps

#2 in THIS DIAGRAM is the bearing you are referring to?"

"Hey Vics,

I got it out and

"Hey Vics,

I got it out and I sorta used the same method
And got the new one in also about 3weeks or a month ago
The engine is running very good. Thanks for the reply."

"Doh, should have looked at th

"Doh, should have looked at the date of your original question. Missed it then obviously.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted and that I was on the right lines. Fantastic."

"Yea my fist outboard engine p

"Yea my fist outboard engine project
and 16 years old hehe
it was fun and I learned alot."

Back