Logo

2002 Honda 225BF

jacknelson

I am looking at buying a boat

I am looking at buying a boat with a 2002 Honda 225. Anything in particular I should be looking for or toubles folks have had. I read"honda grief" Any good reports?

"Make a condition of sale a &#

"Make a condition of sale a "tech check" of the motor.

Used 4 strokes can be a dangerous proposition. It was made well but how was it maintained? A 6 year old 4 stroke should have been in for service (or done correctly by the owner) at least a dozen times by now.

Was the oil changed regularly? filters? valves adjusted? etc etc. A dealer/tech can also give you the entire history of the motor by running the serial - takes away the need to trust "some guy" who's selling a "perfect motor" (which is so perfect that they don't want it anymore???).

With a 2 stroke you check compression/spark - with a 4 stroke, I want to see service records, plus have it "plugged in" for a readout...

It's one thing if you are buying a used motor "expecting" to do a refurb on it, it's quite another to think you are getting decent rig and later find it has a host of problems. 100 bucks spent initally for a check could save thousands later.."

Back