Logo

2008 Honda 225

Murphtime

I am a new owner of a 2008 Honda 225 outboard. I have tried after my last 2 times out to flush my engine with a hose and my motor off and it would flush or pee. I am on a floating dock in my yard and use the boat in salt water. I unscrewed the starboard port and connected the hose from the house to the motor and it would not flush or pee. Is there something I am doing wrong or is the house water pressure too low? Any recommendations or videos would be very helpful. Thank you.

Yes, with sufficient water pressure, you should see a rather weak stream of water exiting the telltale (AKA pisser.) You definitely should see water exiting around the prop and the drain holes above the cavitation plate.

Although the flush attachment is on the starboard side, it enters the water jacket on the port side. So, remove the flush hose, which is simple to do because it is held in place with spring clips. Make sure the hose is totally clear by running a piece of weed-wacker mono through it. Then run it in and out of the nipple that the hose attaches to on the port side. If still no water exiting the telltale, I suspect that your water pressure is too weak.

Thank you, this is very helpful.
Yes, with sufficient water pressure, you should see a rather weak stream of water exiting the telltale (AKA pisser.) You definitely should see water exiting around the prop and the drain holes above the cavitation plate.

Although the flush attachment is on the starboard side, it enters the water jacket on the port side. So, remove the flush hose, which is simple to do because it is held in place with spring clips. Make sure the hose is totally clear by running a piece of weed-wacker mono through it. Then run it in and out of the nipple that the hose attaches to on the port side. If still no water exiting the telltale, I suspect that your water pressure is too weak.

Thanks for everyone's help. I attached a picture to see if I am doing something wrong. I believe the water pressure is enough to flush it through and I have run a piece of weedwacker wire through the house and don't believe it is clogged.

No picture attached. Are you still having the problem?

BTW - using the Honda-designed flushing system is a real PITA. I've modified mine so I can flush the engine as soon as I get it on the lift. Starting the flushing process as soon as the engine is turned off and is still hot will greatly reduce the buildup of salt and other chemicals in the cooling system. See that attached write-up.

Attachments

• Engine Flush Modification.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 7

Yes, still having the issue. Will take a look at the pdf you just sent. But am reattached the picture. Hopefully it comes through. I may have to change the media type if it does not come through.

Back