Logo

60 hp diode hook up

48tony

Regular Contributor
hi all Joe R gave me a good heads up on this 1970 60 hp. they are voltage hogs and this summer i have replaced just about all the ele parts .i was told that the amplifier lacks the correct voltage at start up do to the the starter drawing excess current. the fix is to hook up a diode between the starter solenoid and amp.can i get this at any car part store .and what should i ask for. is it just called a 12 volt diode.one more thing what does the clipper box do on these motors.any feedback will help thanks

Bulletin came out years ago to get rid of the clipper circuit as it caused more problems than it cured.... supposed to handle charging circuit voltage surges if memory serves me correctly (PITA!). Re-route the purple 12 voltage lead which is hot only when the key is ON or in the START position to the amplifier 12 volt lead in wire.

Any diode that can handle a 12v car battery will be fine..... available at Radio Shack, most automotive type stores, etc.

ok jim so one more time i guess i am a little simple pitchureing this. so i disconect the purple amp wire off the terminal block were all the ele wires go.i then can run a jumper wire from the starter side of the starter solenoide do i splice it to the wire with ele plug connectors or can i take the solenoide nut off this side and use the terminel eyelet .i then use the diode makeing sure i put it on so ele curent flows down stream to the amp again eliminatting the terminel strip.sorry i just want to be 100 persent be for i do this thanks.

The diode setup is not a replacement voltage supply, it is a temporary additional voltage supply to the amplifier ONLY when the key is turned to the START position. It is best that you install the proper terminal on both ends of the diode wiring so that it can be attached properly (No Splicing) with one terminal attached to the electric starter side of the starter solenoid.... and the other terminal attached to the terminal strip that has the amplifier voltage supply wire attached. The diode must be installed so that the current flows from the solenoid to the amplifier, not vice versa.

Locate the purple wire that has 12 volts applied to it ONLY when the key is in the ON and START position. That wire should also be attached to the same terminal strip location that the amplifier voltage supply wire is attached to, the same one that the diode terminal was attached to. NOTE... In looking at the wiring diagram to refresh my memory, that purple wire is already connected to the amplifier voltage terminal so you don't need to change that BUT double check to make sure that the voltage is applied to the amplifier ONLY when the key is in the ON and START position.

Just simply remove the clipper.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

The original blocking diode used for this by-pass was OMC part # 383538. You could check with a BRP dealer and see if still available.

Last edited:
Back