Logo

60 hp rectofier

48tony

Regular Contributor
Att joe r. you had stated that there was a assesory style rectofier for this older motor on one site it offers 2 types or 2 different part numbers for this motor one part number is 0580795 at the price of about 35 dollars omc the other number is 0580841 omc price of about 73 dollars.there was no info on the difference between the two.but when i seen the price difference it lead me to think it was the part you spoke of.Why did johnson not use the ass rectofier on these motors if they new this problem.and can you explain to me what the difference is between the stock rectofier and this other style you spoke of .

I said that there was at one time a accessory "voltage regulator", not a rectifier. A outboard rectifier simply converts AC voltage to DC voltage and has nothing to do with regulating the voltage.

The difference between rectifier 580795 and 580841 no doubt pertains to its connection (screw on terminal, plug in terminal, etc).

ok ONE more time.first off my understanding of a recterfier was way off. i now realize the recterfier only converts the power from the stator.i thought it allso worked as a voltage regulator.but i am still kind of lost on what controlls the volts going out if there is no regulator sorry for my lack of understanding a few of you have clued me in on a regulator that i could possibly use to stop my over charging problem. omc part# 173640 reg kit. It says 90 hp to 235 hp. is this part something i can still use on a 1970 60 hp?when i first looked at this part it looked just like the clipper box i took off do to info telling me to remove when replaceing a new cdi amp as the amp has the clipper built into it.well i am unsure how to confuse this any more so with a little more info on this regulater i can fully understand what i need. Thanks tony

Back