Logo

8 hp honda

rich71

I connected a new to me 8 hp to my main gas tank on my boat to troll and it would run out of gas after it used what was in the line. I neglected to bring the 3 gal tank I was given. Is the fuel pump weak or just wont pick up because of the distance from the fuel source?

It's hard to say from here. Yes, it probably will depend on how long the run is.

Did you run it when you bought
it? If it ran ok then it's likely that the pump is good.

These pumps don't create much suction or pressure even when new.

I know people do run them from main tanks but I'm not sure about the best way to tie in because I've never tried doing that.

I think "T-ing" into the line that feeds the main outboard and using a separate, dedicated primer bulb might be what I would try. Just a guess though.

Before making changes, be sure that the hose and fittings are tight and in good condition so it's not sucking air.

The primer bulb check valve works best when the flow arrow is pointing somewhat upwards towards the outboard.

Check that the quick disconnect is solidily on and that the latch is properly locked.

Grab that remote tank if you still can.

Good luck.

I bought the boat from a dealer and they ran both motors from a 3 gal tank for me.they had drained the main tank as they didnt know how old the gas was. I took the boat out on the lake for the first time last week. Started the 90hp and traveled a couple miles. That motor ran fine. Shut it down and connected the 8hp to the main tank. Trolled for several hrs, squeezing the ball when the 8 would starve. Reconnected 90 to main tank and returned to the dock. I did by a t valve but haven't installed it yet. I'll try running the 8 on the remote tank at home for long enough that I know the 8 fuel pump is working. If it is good I'll try adding a squeeze ball to the t. Thankyou for your advice.

Well, I think that you have a good plan. Please let us know what you find. We're all here to learn.

And welcome to the forum!

Back