Logo

adding pee hole.

48tony

Regular Contributor
On the 1970 60hp the pee hole is under the water when operating.It makes it imposible to see if the water is circulating while in the water.The newer johnsons have the tell tale water outlet on the lower moter cowling.I really dont like depending on the overheat light on the controll box.So this is what I did. There is a small threaded plug on the top of the head 03075443- plug,cylinder.I took out the plug and the thread size matched the copper fittings I had .With a 90 degree elbow threaded into the hole I then plumed 1/4 in od copper tubeing useing compretion fittings.I drilled a 3/8 hole in the lower cowling with a rubber gromet .And plumed the 1/4 in copper tube through it .I now have a visible pee hole when I get it on the water.The one qustion I have on this is will it affect my thermostat opperating correctlly.It pisses a nice steady stream and most important it is visible when out on the water.Thanks Tony.

I've added tell tail the same way as you have and it will not hurt a thing. The only thing I do do is place a rubber hose about 1 to 2 inches long inside the tube to reduce the size of the stream comming out. By doing so creats alittle more backpressure on the system so water will be sure to flow thru the rest of the motor as designed. The stat should open up a litter faster as the water around the cylenders will warm up quicker as less water will not be goihg out the tell tail.

Oldman570

Thats good news to hear,as I was doing this add on tell -tale I was a bit unsure if it was a good thing to do.I have yet to ever have over heating on this motor.In fact after giving it a good hard run I can put my hand on the head and she is just warm to the touch.It has a new thermostat and waterpump housing and impella.After reading many post on this site Ive learned that over heating is the best way to wreck a good motor.I was thinking of even adding a temp gage on the dash.Even though I have a over heating indicating light on my controll box.I did put a new switch on it last year when I did a full rebuild.It is a small round switch that goes on at the top part of the head.So its fair to say I have taken all the percostions not to cook this motor.Butt ading one more wont hurt with a temp gage .How would i hook one up?I have the 2 wires off the temp switch on the top part of the head.The only time these wires see voltage is when it would be over heating.I would like to see the gage work at all temps while the motor is ran.How do I go about doing this water temp gage? Thanks Tony

I am is the stages of installing one now. I am using a cly. head temp sensor and gauge made by Ferria that is easy to place. Gauge will read from 100 to 250 degress. I belive Telflex makes one also. The sensor just bolts on to the head bolt and dosen't need to go to the sensor for the warning horn. I also am going to put on a water presss gauge also made by Ferria. Instructsions and manuals can be found on the Ferria website if needed. The water pressure will be mainly to monitor the water flow and condition of the pump, just incase anything plugs the inlet ports for the water (plastic bags and weeds). Shop arround as several good deals can be had in todays market.
Oldman570

Last edited:
the factory tell tale has a restrictor in it...you want just enough water coming out to tell if your pump is working....you do not want to rob the engine cooling any more than you have to....thats what the restrictor is for....on most older evinrudes the tell tale is before the water jacket anyway.....all it tells you is the pump is working.....

Back