Logo

boat won't turn off with key

wegz15

Hello, I have a 1989 evinrude 40hp outboard. When I turn the key off and pull the emergency shut off the motor still runs. This happened intermittently about 2 months ago. I replaced the switch and the problem went away until today. I've been reading the forums and it sounds like it is a diode that keeps the alternator back feeding to the electrical system. I have a digital copy of the manual, but I don't know where this diode would be. I also looked on marine engine parts and cannot find where it would be. Can any one help?

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Last edited:
Hello, I have a 1989 evinrude 40hp outboard. When I turn the key off and pull the emergency shut off the motor still runs. This happened intermittently about 2 months ago. I replaced the switch and the problem went away until today. I've been reading the forums and it sounds like it is a diode that keeps the alternator back feeding to the electrical system. I have a digital copy of the manual, but I don't know where this diode would be. I also looked on marine engine parts and cannot find where it would be. Can any one help?

Sounds like you have been reading about the old Hydro-Electric models that had a "blocking diode". Not applicable to your motor. If it has some other diode, I am not familiar with it.

So... for anyone else who comes across this... It was a corroded wire. The black and yellow wire was corroded causing about a 1/8" gap. I cut it out and crimped them together. The motor now shuts off with the key and kill switch.

Back