Logo

Brand new Honda BF150 low power/high consumption problems

islander17

Hi,

I'm not an engine mechanic, but I'm just looking for some experienced advice on how to approach or communicate this with the local Honda rep as I'm still under warranty.

I have a 2016 boat with a brand new Honda BF150 VTEC. The problem I'm experiencing is, the max speed is considerably below the specs for my boat (32 knots vs 37 knots) and fuel consumption seems consistently 20-25% higher than it should be at practically any speed.

Fuel consumption is at 1.25 l/nm or higher (3.50 MPG) at any planing speed from 20 knots and up. My boat should be able to do 25 knots at 0.95 l/nm. I've had the numbers confirmed from several sources (people owning the same boat with minor model differences, several magazine tests etc.).

The boat has been the same since day one, so it's not an issue with e.g. cleaning the bottom, unusual wear of the engine etc. The engine is new with about 30 hours of use. Even the BF115 should be able to push this this boat to 33-34 knots at max RPM with a few people aboard, which seems like more than would be able to get my BF150 under perfect conditions, trim and an empty boat.

Boat rep has the boat now, and agrees it seems slower than normal but otherwise everything looks fine. Max RPM (5500) is according to specs. Engine runs smoothly at any speed. Prop should be the correct size/model (stainless). Honda hooked up their computers to the engine both out of the water and while testing, but it didn't indicate anything to be wrong with their engine. Boat has been out of the water several times, i.e. there's nothing stuck to the hull or the propeller.

Because no one can find anything wrong anywhere, I'm not quite sure how to approach this, or what to suggest. If anyone has any ideas what could cause something like this with the Honda BF150, I'd greatly appreciate any advice I can get. My first thought was that maybe there's an issue with the engine programming and I'm actually running a BF115 although it says BF150, but I can't imagine that not showing up on Honda's computers if it was the case.

Back