Logo

Can't positively identify my Mariner year or HP

Mike Adams

I have a 3 cylinder mariner that has 80 decals on the motor. The serial # is 5144721. I put that # in the serial # search bar and it came back not found. I looked through the different HPs for 3 cylinders and I found my serial # fell in the range of a 70 HP. Can anybody help confirm my info?

1979 model.

Serial is just a production number so from it alone can't determine anything other than the year of mfg.

The 80 was a 4 cylinder, 70 would be more likely if it's a 3 cylinder - looks to be the only 3 cylinder produced in that serial range.

1979 model.

Serial is just a production number so from it alone can't determine anything other than the year of mfg.

The 80 was a 4 cylinder, 70 would be more likely if it's a 3 cylinder - looks to be the only 3 cylinder produced in that serial range.

I saw the same info on marineengine.com I looked on autorepairmanuals.biz and found my serial number in the range for a 80 HP 3 cylinder. Wondering which one is right?

You will also find just about every horsepower that was in production in 1979 in that "serial range" - that number was simply the "next one off the line" number - the next number after yours could have been 7.5 horse twin.

Prior to 1987 80 horse Merc's were either 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder - so if you motor is older than 1987 and only has 3 cylinders it CAN NOT be an 80 horse.

You will also find just about every horsepower that was in production in 1979 in that "serial range" - that number was simply the "next one off the line" number - the next number after yours could have been 7.5 horse twin.

Prior to 1987 80 horse Merc's were either 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder - so if you motor is older than 1987 and only has 3 cylinders it CAN NOT be an 80 horse.

Thanks for the info. The motor belongs to my brother in law and I was going on the info he gave me over the phone. Come to find out it IS a 4 cylinder. Makes a lot of difference 3 or 4 cylinder Huh. Now that I have the correct cylinders everything checks out. I appreciate the info I got from ya'll. Is there and easy way to disconnect the shift lever to lower the foot to change out the water pump?

Back