Logo

Choke Adjustment

48tony

Regular Contributor
Recently I have had a cold start flooding condition and after reviewing some information I have come to realize that my choke butterflies are adjusted incorrectly. I have the electric solenoid with a thermal switch on the motor (a 1970 60 HP ESLD). My manual states to loosen the two linkage screws and manually close the butterflies, which I have done. When the key is in the "on" position my butterflies close fully through the electric solenoid spring and plunger. This is causing cold start flooding. I have seen posts where it states that with the key on the butterflies should close only half way. Do I make up this adjustment in the plunger adjustment or on the choke linkage arms?

I have also seen the bulletin where you disconnect the thermal switch completely allowing you to operate the choke manually with the switch at the controls. I have replaced the new thermal switch along with the thermostat so I am trying not to modify the bulletin. I feel as long as I know the parts are working correctly, I should have no problem. But I am confused on where to make up the cold start choke butterfly adjustment.

48Tony

(Temperature Actuated Choke Solenoid Conversion)
(J. Reeves)

Various OMC engines that were manufactured in the later 1960s thru the early 1970s, for example the 1969 55hp Evinrude/Johnson incorporated a dual stage choke solenoid...... easy to identify as they have two wires leading to the solenoid, one purple/white, one purple/yellow.

The purple/yellow is attached at the engine wiring terminal strip to another purple/yellow wire that led to a heat sensor. The initial stage, with the key ON, (purple/yellow), when cold, would keep the choke pulled in half way until the engine warmed up, at which time it would release and open the choke butterfly.

The second stage (purple/white) is attached to another purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip which leads to the choke switch. When the switch was engaged, the choke closed etc.

The problem with this setup is that as the engine got older, the thermostat acted up, water pump became weak, whatever, the heat sensor failed to operate properly and the choke would not release from that half closed position. This would cause the engine to run in a rich fuel mixture condition (flooding, loading up).

The cure to this problem, via a service bulletin from OMC was to remove the solenoid purple/yellow wire from its original location and connect both of the solenoid wires (purple/yellow & purple/white) to the engine wiring harness purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip.

The above change would allow both solenoid wires to be energized when the choke switch is engaged, pulling the choke butterfly in firmly..... and only when the choke switch is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back