Logo

Fitting a 2006 3litre 4cyl Chev motor in place of 1985 2.5litre 4cyl chev motor

budgie14

Regular Contributor
Hi,now that weve sorted engine rotation,how big a job is it to fit the late model 135hp motor in place of the earlier model ?.I know the flywheels are different,what about the drive coupling and rear engine mounts,the width between them etc?.Or do you need the matching transom bracket housing?Is the exhaust manifold similar in that it connects to the big elbow thats inline with the manifold,to go down to the exhaust outlet at the back of the transom bracket?.Is it worth doing.I can get a near new motor for halfprice,and would like the extra hp,plus as mine is raw water cooled,Im sure the castings could be getting thinner by the year.Any info greatly appreciated:cool:

I know it's early and this time i made sure to " get it right ". If memory serves me correctly you will need a adapter for the exhaust and Michigan motors has the flywheel. The mounts are the same the demensions of the motor the same
The flywheel is important for the matchup of the coupler. If i were you i would go with the new motor that you posted you can get cheap.
Above info. pertains to the 120 hp / 2.5 and 3.0 of the same year of your motor. They 2.5 and 3.0 were swappable only difference was hp and the head.

Last edited:
Ayuh,... You should only need the flywheel, 'n coupler,....

All else Should match up, just Fine...

Back