Logo

help with fitting correct prop

48tony

Regular Contributor
I have a 13 3/4x 15 prop on a 60 hp It is pushing a 14ft fiberglass at 5000 rpm,s my top speed is 28mph.my book says i can tack out at 5500 so i can push the rpm,s abit more.the prop on it now is good for my trolling but i want to gain some speed for knee board and tube.allso i have no tilt and trim and this prop planes out the boat nice.what kind of speed could i get out of this 60 hp on a 14ft boat with the right prop.thank you

I have a 70 hp which is similar to a 60. I had a 13 x 19 prop which would top out at 5000 RPM and 26-28 mph. I just put on a 13 1/4 x 17 and it tops out at 5200 RPM now but the top speed is still the same. It does get up on plane faster however. I suspect if you lower your prop pitch you will gain WOT RPM but your top speed will not change much if at all. Maybe different types of blades may gain something as you can pay anywhere from $90 to $400 or more for a prop for your motor. Hopefully you would get something for all those extra $.

well with that being the case i will keep the prop i have on. It does not seem to be worth the money to gain very little. thank you for the info on your 70hp and prop change they are pretty much the same motors 70 60hp and keeping the rpm,s at 5000 the motor will last me my life time as i just rebuilt the powerhead i bored 30 over and put all new parts in her,she will be bullet proof running at 5000 vs the 5500.have a good one .Tony

Back