Logo

Installing new saddle tanks on my 22' cruiser would like less stern weight

didn't try that bc fuel won't go past this dam filter.


The good news is relocating bulb to before filter worked perfectly only about ten pumps an the filter started filling.yet to test output but am optimistic fuel is getting to engine.

relocated primer bulb works great.jpg

I'll manage the fuel tubes an turn 3way valve around.would prefer the bulb an 3way much higher tucked up but in order to have the bulb vertical I maybe forced to have like this.




The bad news is this dam filters water bowl filled immediately.
bowl filled imediately.jpg











I'm tired of dicking around w/ this cheap S3213 crape


previous S3213 seal fell off dam filter leaked.image
previous S3213 seal fell off filter leaked.jpg






now this new water bowl fills basicely defeating the purpose.dam





Serria is a bit overpriced plus the Ahole that designed the mount ears needs to be slapped upside the head slapfight style there simpley no room to put a wrench on the nut, dam





think I'll try an Attwood w/out the problematic water bowl.an apparently a little room for a wrench,
Attwood fuel water separator w larger Serria 18 99181 filter.jpg




this Attwoods filter is kindof small they advertise for 4 cylinders engines however the bot seams to think it will flow enough fuel.
plan to use a larger serria filter the bot confirms will work w/ this head bracket.

I've been trying to reuse the old Serria head but the filter is rusted soild. an a bit nasty time for the scrape heap. I was able to steal a 90* fitting an will need to reuse in/outlet fittings those Aholes at atwood don't include.image
serria head filter rusted.jpg






onward:evidently I currently have the wrong size 30”calibrated ASV for my Moiler tank.

want to make sure I have the proper size antispion valve.





I recently found out the anti spion valve size is determined by size of engine. Under or over 200HP.
my 2012 Evinrude ETEC 175HP is actuely classified as over 200HP.





I mearsured the ASV outside diameter is 1/2” image

half inch anti spion valve.jpg




so I assume the inside diameter is3/8” I didn't mearsure the barb. but my 3/8" fuel tube fits fine.
ASV barb .jpg



Since outside diameter of ASV is 1/2” actual diameter, will I need a 1/4"NPT valve correct?




after my research:
I think I need PartNumber:Moeller033807-10(Brass Anti-Siphon Valve – 1/4″ NPT x 3/8″Barb at 15" spring pressure.

proper ASV 033807 10 3 8  NPTx1 4.jpg

image


would like to stow a few spare fittings for when this ASV clogs/jams.Using 3/8” inside diameter fuel tube.


Or maybe not bc my new saddle tanks don't have ASVs (I've only confirmed this on the star tank it's on the patio so I'll have to check the port tank gonna be a major PITA mite have to remove to check. dam) it's just an empty tube also 1/2” actuel so 1/4”NPT.





Starting to think just bust out the ball bearing to ensure my new ETEC gets all the fuel it wants.thanks
 
Last edited:
the 'water bowl' at the bottom of the filter looks fine....what were you expecting?

Outboard don't require the anti-syphon valve - if its not there, it can't clog or jam up...
 
the 'water bowl' at the bottom of the filter looks fine....what were you expecting? I was expecting the water bowl to stay empty when I pressurize. only when there is water in the fuel which should drip from canister down into bowl. this bowl shouldn't just fill w/ fuel heck it filled w/ probaley 7 pumps. dam.

Outboard don't require the anti-syphon valve - if its not there, it can't clog or jam up...
"Outboard don't require the anti-syphon valve" I didn't know this I thought all types engines required bye the USCG to have the ASV. - if its not there, it can't clog or jam up

well the uninstalled star tank just had an empty barbed fitting no ASV. I don't see any signs of the ball bearing being beat out.I believe the donor vessel where these tanks came from was in fact a higher end cruiser (24' searay) which was most likely an inboard so you would think there should be ASV.
right now the moillers ASV is flowing fine. but I'm definitely needing to find the lid for the battery box
note the battery is very close to the moiller.
garden hose hanging overboard.jpg

I have two battery boxs house battery stowed inside cabin is size group 31 current tempuary start battery is actuely a car group27
can I use the larger 31 on the 27? or should I just purchase another 31 box for the next real start battery before anymore shakedowns or cruises for that matter?
to prevent any sparks igniting fumes
or do all fumes get dumped overboard though vent?
here's the new star vent yet to be shielded from rain or splash spray.
new star vent yet to be shielded.jpg
you know I purchased another trumpet type vent that I have on port side. when I removed the trumpet inner shell it looked exactly like the orginal vent so I ditched the trumpet shell. I don't remember seeing this orginal type vent inside the port vent.

out of necessity I had to use some old garden hose for a tempuary vent tube. must I use fuel tubing? I think it's 5/8"ID. wasn't planing on continuing w/ this moiler realy want to finish w/ the saddle tank. the rigging is causing a major problem this even after lowering the platform dam near 3".

hate to admit this but I do know the ETEC manuel says never use a portable fuel tank, I believe I know why fuel starvation can lean out the injectors:
you know my last three shakedown runs at WOT where done w/ my 6 gallon portable. surprised the ETEC was getting enough fuel though the 1/4" fuel pickup tube inside the duratank portable.
I'm hopping w/ the enlarged fuel pickup tube I assume 3/8"ID (IIRC the PU is actuely 5/8" correct me if I'm wrong) she will increase performance an a few MPH on just the proper volume of fuel. thanks Makomark trying to be as safe as possiable.
 
So you went from bulb sucking fuel thru filter and didn't work didn't work I pumped for over 50times no preasurre.

no-fuel-preasure-jpg.37612


To bulb pushing fuel thru the filter and it did work worked in less than 10 bulb squeezes. I always thought the bulb needs to be as close to engine as possiable sometimes outside transom? thanks ALL Dodge

relocated-primer-bulb-works-great-jpg.37668
 
this vent has 4 screened holes so it's unavoidable to aim the holesI down. either I enlarge the freeboard hole an use the trumpet cone like on port side. or rely on the shield I'll fab. thanks for reminding me I'll cover w/ good duct tape just incase it rains. the gunnel hangs over about 1 1/2 over the vent.
 
not much room to route vent tube upward then downward image of star side w/ rigging.
tank fill port an vent cant route vent tube upward p.jpg


here's the port side see how high the vent is same as star side just under gunnel can't route tube upward then downward. image
vents 90 degree tube.jpg
 
I was able to remove to old rusted serria filter off my old head bracket.


Of course there was a tad bit of rust on the threads where the filter threads on so I cleaned w/ a stainsteel wire wheel.





Then scraped a little corrosion from inside of head. Right now I'm soaking it in white vinagar over night.


Plan to reuse this filter head an ditch this s3213 crapola.
 
I believe you would be better off just replacing the filter head...you need a flat surface for the gasket to seal againstand what is there doesn't look promising from the picture...I doubt its cost effective to even try it on a mill...
 
more bad news I ordered the Atwood
water/fuel separator
Attwood fuel water separator w larger Serria 18 99181 filter.jpg

you know these cheap aholes didn't include fuel tube fittings, I believe atwood has sold out an new ppl are tanking the good atwood name.
after recieving this filter none of my fitting where big enough to thread in an I have alot of fittings.

so I ask the amazon bot exact size of fitting the threaded end I wasn't sure of I did know the inside diameter of the fuel tube 3/8".
I ordered the bots suggestion
air tool ittings must be differnt from fuel fittings.jpg

an they only hand thread in two turns, the supplied plugs turn over 4 turns.

air tool fittings must be tappered fatter than NPT differnt from fuel fittings, anyway two turns isn't enough for me. gonna go back to the new 3213 filter head and use a serria filter 18 7944 (this agaist the bots advice saying the serria 187944 won't fit the 3213 head well I got news for youall I mearsured).
which is tad shorter but I believe it's gasket will contact the filter head for good seal.a

serria 18 7944 image
serria 18 7944.jpg


2 7/8" outside diameter gasket on the serria filter this is actuely a new filter w/ a tab bit of surface rust won't be using
serria 18 7944 filter I use .jpg



atwood on right has alot more filter gasket area allowing a larger filter

atwood on right has alot more filter gasket area allowing a larger filter.jpg

old serria fits 18 7944 again tad under 3" filter area
old serria  fits 18 7944.jpg



serria 18 7944 filter I use tad under 3 will fit the 3213 head
3213 filter head is just under 3 inchs outside diameter.jpg


so in concluesion of course I'd done w/ the 3213 filter but will reuse it's head w/ the serria 18 7944. remember don't purchase a 3213 filter w/ peep plastic underneth bowl they leak.
 
Last edited:
update on filter sending the atwood back, will be using the genaic 3213 head w/ a quicksilvers version of 18 7944 filter.
here's the gasket of the serria 18 7944 on the 3213 head. I've relocated the primer bulb to the output of filter,I certainly hope I can build presurre.
3213 head w 18 7944 gasket.jpg
 
Back
Top