Logo

johnson temp switch part # 386686

Re: johnson temp switch.

Warm it up ( boiling water )and put an ohmeter on it.--------------------Wire to ground should show continuity.

Re: johnson temp switch.

racer can you please explain to me in depth how to do this. the 1 wire off the unit do i ground this to the meter.do i need a 12 volt battery.can i use a 12 volt test light to do this test . i am lost when it comes to any electric testing with omes and volts.step by step will help me check this out. allso would like to test my thermo choke switch. can you let me no how to test this. thank you tony

attach 1 lead of the ohmmeter to the single wire coming out of the switch and the other lead to the medal casing of the switch(ground) the ohmmeter will read open switch, then warm the switch until the switch closes ( 0 ohms). If the switch is open when cold and closes when warm then it is working. good luck

Use a cheap analog (Needle Movement) volt/ohm meter, set to OHMS.
Ohm meter set to High Ohms.
Meter RED lead connected to sensor wire terminal.
Meter BLACK lead connected to metal portion of sensor normally within head.
Needle should not move when sensor is cold (switch open).
Heat sensor in hot water or your choice of heat.
Needle should read full scale when sensor is hot (switch closed).

If needle moves even when the sensor is cold, the sensor is faulty.
If needle does not move when the sensor is hot, the sensor is faulty.

it seemed to be stuck open. i boiled it the first time and did the test no reading. tryed again let it boil for 5 minutes still no reading when tested. so fair to say it is junk.can you tell me if i need to use this exact same switch.for a small part they want allmost 60 dollars. i looked on ebay and found some but unsure if others will fit i have the 60 hp 1970. thanks tony.

Back