Logo

Leaking oil from prop help please

kidn1980

The motor hasn't ran in yrs and I have replaced several things and finally got it running good. After letting it run to move fluids around and I turned off I noticed oil black leaking from the bottom of prop. So is there something I should be looking for. Thank you in advance.

I tried uploading pic but it wouldn't let me.

The oil you're seeing could be just from the exhaust. But seeing the motor hasn't been run in a number of years I would have the gear case pressure and vacuum checked.

Last edited:
Is that something I could do to the gear case pressure and vacuum checked? The lower unit oil I put in was blue and this was like dark black like car oil and i haven't ran it long enough for it to turn that color.

happens to me to, ran motor all day and let set for two days, no black oil, flushed motor on hose for 20 min. and got black oil next am.

FACT: The oil that you put in the gas all goes through the engine, where it is used only once, then either burns or goes out the exhaust. The portion that goes out the exhaust then picks up carbon particles which turns it black. Then you see it running out the bottom (gravity, y'know), and you freak out.

In other words, don't freak, it is normal.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20180410_203802-1512x2016.jpg
    20180410_203802-1512x2016.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5,113
Sure, the cylinders exhaust into the upper end of the midsection. Then it travels downward to the underwater lower unit and out through the hollow propeller hub. All the glop and snot goes along with it. There are many similar threads here where people have expressed their same concerns and worries.

All this is kind of a non-issue in normal service because heat, hot water, and partial burning greatly reduces what you see running out.

P.S. That exhaust you see blowing out the holes in the rear of the midsection is only a tiny bit of the exhaust. It is an exhaust relief to take the back pressure off. It it were not for that, it would be hard starting and idle poorly.

Last edited:
I suggest you read a manual on the operation of your motor.---Your first motor ?----Most of the exhaust comes out the center of the prop at full throttle.

Did you post what motor you have ?----Some motors have an overheat warning horn and some do not.----A prudent owner would install a new impeller.

Some people are downright paranoid about water pumps, the thing never even crosses the mind of other people. I guess "goes bad" would require definition. If it just suddenly stops pumping, like a spun impeller hub, you probably will not know it until the pistons seize and it comes to a sudden lockup, then sits there and cooks all the paint and wires off. I've seen way too many like that. And most often, the overheat horn didn't even have a chance to sound.

On the other hand, if you are paying attention and is is a gradual failure, you may act and correct it.

The best advice I can give is make sure you replace the impeller often enough to have some confidence. I'm not sure how often that is with my own motor. Opinions vary.

why would I have to start the engine using starter fluid for the first start? I prime the bulb and watch fuel enter the fuel filter and when bulb is hard I stop.

Do you understand how the electric primer valve works , yes or no ?-----Are you pushing the key in WHILE cranking the motor over ?

no I don't. no I am not pushing key in while cranking over, I was pushing key in and release they crank. thank you very much for responding.

That primer is an electric valve.-----It opens when you push the key in while cranking the motor over.----Fuel then sprays into the motor for near instant starts.-----So can you believe that motor has a system built in and does the same thing as you spraying in the starter fluid !!-----Pushing the key in with the motor not cranking is not very useful.

Here is a pic

I would pull the prop and clean the area up with solvent and observe it for a day or two. It appears to be gear case oil but based upon what you said it should be blue. I think it's going to be hard to pinpoint without removing the prop.

Bill

Just smell the residue. Gear lube smells totally different from gas & oil exhaust. If you have any of the fresh gear lube left over smell it first. BIG difference! Most likely oil/fuel residue from ideling on muffs.

Back