Logo

no forward gear on electric shift.

48tony

Regular Contributor
well after a full tear down on this unit and replacing parts I put the unit back on and every thing went fine .I started the motor let it warm up No bad noises or grinding from lower unit so im happy at this point.Running in nutrule the prop sits still .Put it in reversse and prop turns nice,put it in forward gear and she does nothing.I have checked voltage at the green and blue knife connectors every thing checks out fine. What else could be causing no forward gear?

There is no power to the shift solenoids when forward is selected !!!---------------------Before you put it on the motor it should have been in forward gear, was it ???---------------It is spring loaded to go in forward gear.-----------------When the motor is not running it should be in forward gear !-----------Was the shifting tested before you did all the work to install it on the motor ???----------------Sounds like you need to tear it apart again.------------These units are a thing of beauty if you know how they work !!

Hi guies, Sorry I never got back to you yesterday. I had the joy of spending the day with my 1 year old grandson.But in between play time I did do a ohms test on the shifting coils the book gives the specks of 5-6 ohms .I got a reading of 6 on both.Oh and on the modle and year. I have the johnson 60 hp esl -d 1970. the lower unit was in need of some work.I found a unit on ebay but the person was unsure of year and modle.But I belive it to be a 1972 65 hp electric shift very much the same unit as the 1970 60 hp.One thing I should of mentioned on this when I put the type c oil in the unit the qt was about 5/8 full most of the time when i drain the unit and go to fill it up it takes 3/4 . The oil never came out the top vent plug when I filled it.Could only a few onces make this electric shift not shift correct?I find it odd that the pump has oil to ingage it into reverse and nutrule But no forward.I plan on adding oit to it today and see what happens. I really do not think the problem lies in a few onces short but it will be a nice fix if it is the problem.Racer I realize now I should of done a bench test on this unit to see how the shifting was working.But after a ohms test of 6 on both coils doesent that tell me the unit should be working.You will have to explain to me what to do step by step for the bench shifting test as I am a bit unsure how to do one.I no I should of asked way before now.Thanks Tony

The lack of a bit of oil does not matter for forward , not at all !!!---------------This machine is in forward all the time when the motor is not running , even with no oil in it !!!!!--------------Oil pressure is only needed to push the shift piston back against a spring for nuetral and reverse.-------------------------You fill it right full of oil till it comes out the top.-------Wait 20 minutes and see if it will take more oil.------TESTING--You have the unit in the normal running position ( in a vice ) and hook up battery negative to the casing.-----------You attach a vice grip ( gently ) to the driveshaft spline ( I use the special socket )to turn the shaft.-------------You touch green to positive and turn the driveshaft.----It should kick into nuetral after about ONE TURN of the driveshaft.-----------Now touch green AND blue to positive and it will go right through nuetral to reverse after about TWO TURNSof the drive shaft.-------------If you have no forward now my bet is that the bore of the shift piston is " dirty " and not allowing the spring to push the clutch dog to forward !!!!!!!!!!----------------Do NOT RUN this machine on a boat with a " partially full of oil " gearcase!!!

Last edited:
HI Racer,Thanks for the full break down on doin the bench test.I have the unit down in my shop I will do the shift test Butt I have a feeling i will be tearing this unit down once againe.I did notice the piston that goes into the oil pump had a tight fit It did not want to come out when I tore it down and when putting it back in it was stuborn.I,ll have to work it by hand untill it goes in and out smoothly.Thanks for the help. Im sure iwill be posting a up date on this project And probablly even some more qustions.

I do hope that you did pull the pump out of the housing ( and apart ) for an inspection.-------------I guess it is true that some folks can not take the time to do it right the first time.--------They always find the time to do it twice.----Sorry for being so blunt here.

Last edited:
Also...... Should you have moved the shift plungers on either of the shift solenoid rods, and they are out of adjustment, very weird shift problems come into view.

When installed, the plunger (either of them) must be 1/64" below the top of the solenoid to flush with the top of the solenoid, no lower and no higher than absolute flush with the solenoid top. Best to hit that 1/64" below mark.

Hi joe,I did not touch any adjustments on the coil plungers.I had been told not to mess with them so i left well alone.This mornin i went to do the bench test on this unit to make sure the coils are working. I did a ohms test on both and got a reading of 7 this tells me they are good.I hook up neg from batt to case.hook up power to green and turn the driveshaft a few times to see the prop shaft turning no nutrule I then hooked up both leads to see if it would go into reverse and no rev.I checked the batt volts and it read 11.85 so it was a bit weak .The batt has been on the charger all day.I will do the bench test with a full batt and post the results.Thanks Tony

You have to hold the take prop off and gently hold propshaft as it may turn ( even in nuetral ) when there is no load.

Bobbie... Yep, that's why I added a note to trail all my posts.

Tony... Simply turning the driveshaft by hand does nothing. It must be turning as if running such as via a electric drill, something of that nature, BUT NOT if it's anywhere around water! Now, what's that model number?

Turning the driveshaft in the direction of normal rotation will shift these units in about one turn to get nuetral and with both wires connected it goes straight thruough nuetral to reverse.---Always has and always will , if the unit is in good working condition.----------You hold the propshaft to get the positive feel for it.-----------Nothing to this at all !!!

I am unsure of the modle number on this unit.I got it on ebay.The johnson outboard that i have is the1970 60 hp esl-d.The guy new what i needed and in a week i got the unit in the mail .I do no it is the one that has the smaller prop shaft size.these units had 2 prop shaft sizes.the smaller prop shafts were 1971-1972.So there we have it.Does this help you help me.I am far from a pro but i do no that these older units that are HYDRO-ELE and from 1969- 1972 they all worked the same.dont understand were a modle number could change the conceppt.sorry.Well anyway my problem still stands.While trying to bench test the unit and see how it would shift.with unit grounded and green coil lead to power turning drive shaft clockwize with custom made socket to fit shaft splines vs vise gripps and holding prop shaft it will not ingage into nurule.I will try the power drill method to see if it makes a difference.

If it will not shift when turning it by hand there is something wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----------TAKE IT APART !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back