Logo

nutrual safety switch problem.

48tony

Regular Contributor
Hi, Guyies.For the last 2 seasons I have been running my 1970 60 hp with no nutrual switch do to the switch being bad.After hearing some stories of bad things happening do to not haveing this switch hooked up .I went and changed the switch last week after adjusting the little plunger to the timer base cam. And it was still allowing me to crank the motor over when in gear.With the throttle linkage disconected and manually advanceing the motors throttle lever the switch worked fine.So is the problem in my controll box.My manual states that there is a hi rev switch in the controll box for the warm up lever.Is this switch on the same circut as the safty switch on the motor.If the warm up lever hi rev switch is adjusted out of wack could it be afecting the nutrual forward and reverse lever?

You mis-understand !!!-------------The switch on the motor is not a safety switch for nuetral starting.------------It prevents cranking with throttle open too far and that is all it does.

Hi racer-1 I guess I missworded my qustion.I do realize the safty switch is for what you stated.My qustion why does the key allow me to crank motor over when the shift throttle lever is advanced?As you said it should not.I adjusted the switch plunger as manual states.

Take the wee switch and test it.-Post a picture of the switch as it is installed.-Post a picture of the solenoid wiring as it is installed.

Last edited:
racer I will have to have my soninlaw help me download pitchures.I am unsure how to do it.You asked for the silonoid wireing pitchure My manual shows ground wire off the nutrual saftety switch going to the small solenoid terminel the same side as were the big post on the silenoid is for the big lead for the stater ground.The other small terminel shows white ground wire to key ign ground.And as for testing the switch it does check good.I think the problem is in the controll box.Thank you Tony.

Check it all out , you seem to be confused with " ground wires "----------------Starter ground / stater ground ???-----What are you talking about here??-------------The ground to energize the solenoid is done at the " safety switch "------------The circuit must " not be grounded " when throttle is advanced too far !!

Back