Logo

Removing oil cooler

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"OK,

Was at the boat last

"OK,

Was at the boat last weekend (engine room is good and dry!)but I want to yank my oil coolers and open them up to clean them. I was taking a look, and there is plenty of room to access them. Just a few quick questions...

By the looks of it, there is the water infeed and outfeed, which are simply just double hose clamped. No big deal there.

Then it looks like there are two oil hoses, in and out. How should I go about getting those off

The cooler it self look to be on a bracket with two bolts.

Al, what type of solder did you use to put the caps back on.

Thanks guys!"

"The oil hoses use flare fitti

"The oil hoses use flare fittings, you should hold the hex on the cooler with a 2nd wrench. I've use plumbers solder for the end caps using paste flux after a sanding of the surfaces. Mapp gas made the job fairly easy."

"Why take them apart? If you&

"Why take them apart? If you're going through the effort to take them off, why not just have them dipped. For that matter, why take them off? A mild acid solution introduced into the system will work wonders. You may end up with more problems getting them resealed than then you're ready for, especially if they're in bad enough shape to make you worry about them in the first place.

Just my .02."

"Rick, how would I acid wash/d

"Rick, how would I acid wash/dip them without the caps off? If I can do it without the caps off I am in!!"

""Why take them apart?&#34

""Why take them apart?"

Frequently, the pencil zinc abrades and ends up plugging numerous tubes. I've seen some 21 tubes clogged with zinc. I'm not sure how fast acid will remove those, but when disassembled, it takes a couple of minutes with a dull screwdriver."

""Rick, how would I acid w

""Rick, how would I acid wash/dip them without the caps off? If I can do it without the caps off I am in!"

Flood them, let soak, rinse."

"Rick, I like your thinking. Y

"Rick, I like your thinking. Yank them hoses off (i'll still take her off the boat) Fill her up with a 75%/25% acid water mixture with the tops on, let them cook for 20 minutes, and see what comes out"

"Ted,
I took mine apart to l

"Ted,
I took mine apart to learn about what they were. I figured it I screwed them up, I would just replace 'em. This is how I learned about babbetted bearings in my 1925 Henderson, coil springs in the Colombia gramophone, and rebuilding the 454 Crusader. EITHER WAY...It is broken and needs to be fixed... IF I can learn how to do it..even better. If not, IT STILL needs to be fixed.

Crazy ? Maybe...but the stuff I have learned over the years that I may not have had opportunities for thrills me....but thats' me."

"Haha believe me Al, I yank to

"Haha believe me Al, I yank too many things apart. After rebuilding a few british sports car, I am a curious guy!

I guess I will yank them, take a look, and see how I feel!"

Ted:

I'll bet your gara

Ted:

I'll bet your garage has lots of oil spots under where those British cars are kept!

Jeff

"Jeff,

I built another gar

"Jeff,

I built another garage just to house those oil leakers! Kitty litter under the engine keeps the floor decently clean! Had them both out this weekend, Triumph needs a slave cylinder (tonights project)...austin healy roared like a champ! (hope the boats do the same!!!)"

"Ted,

There must be a chara

"Ted,

There must be a character type for this kind of person. I'd tear apart almost anything and try to see how it works. IF it needs replacing anyway, why not try to see what makes it tick?"

"I'm totally with you on t

"I'm totally with you on this Al. I worked for Xerox many years and kept telling the new guys - go ahead, it's broke anyway, if you fix it you learned good, if you didn't, you learned good anyway, now fix it right!

I think I'll do the same with my U-coolers. Did you use Muriatric acid, if so, what dilution?"

"Why the heck not? I even bou

"Why the heck not? I even bought one of those infamous Merc triple outboards to mess with. Tlak about sadistic!

Jeff

PS: Of the triples it has been written: "That three cylinder motor was a boney, trailer trash trollop in a cheap dress that never fit right; foul of mouth, swilling cheap muscatel out of a paper bag behind the liquor store. She would put a knife to your throat in a heartbeat. A disgrace to the Mercury name.""

"hah, my sons angler has a tri

"hah, my sons angler has a triple cylinder 80HP merc early 90s on his 18' angler. Surprisingly, the thing has run like a champ!"

"Gee Jeff...If you can't s

"Gee Jeff...If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all
!

On the other hand Chris...I used a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid and water. Pour the acid into the water first. My feelings exactly...it's broken ANYWAY"

"Ted:

THAT triple is an ent

"Ted:

THAT triple is an entirely different motor, and a much better one.

Al:

My Mom said that as well. Maybe we're related?

Jeff"

"[b]PS: Of the triples it has

"PS: Of the triples it has been written: "That three cylinder motor was a boney, trailer trash trollop in a cheap dress that never fit right; foul of mouth, swilling cheap muscatel out of a paper bag behind the liquor store. She would put a knife to your throat in a heartbeat. A disgrace to the Mercury name."

I had a girlfriend like that. A lot of fun, but I only took her home once!"

"OK,

Was at the boat last

"OK,

Was at the boat last weekend (engine room is good and dry!)but I want to yank my oil coolers and open them up to clean them. I was taking a look, and there is plenty of room to access them. Just a few quick questions...

By the looks of it, there is the water infeed and outfeed, which are simply just double hose clamped. No big deal there.

Then it looks like there are two oil hoses, in and out. How should I go about getting those off

The cooler it self look to be on a bracket with two bolts.

Al, what type of solder did you use to put the caps back on.

Thanks guys!"
How do you get the oil cooler out.Is it possible to unhook the two fitted lines to
remove the whole thing.

Back