Logo

shift dog

48tony

Regular Contributor
this shiftdog is on a 1969 55 hp johnson there is wear on it can i turn it around so the lugs are new on the mating surface?The gears show some wear allso at the mating surface with the shift dog lugs. Was told to grind down to sharp edge on gears were shift dog lugs mate to the gears.

That shifter dog cannot be turned around. Notice the scribe marks on one side of it? What is the part number of that dog?

<span style="font-family:century gothic;">Hi, Joe. Thanks for gettin back to me on this .What I have goin on is tryin to make one good lower unit out of the 2 i have.I have a 1969 55 hp on a 1970 60 hp esld.I have the stock lower unit with blown case But the gutts are good.The 69 hp sized the upper drive shaft bearing. So I figured I would rebuild .I found a guy on flee bay that had old vintage parts new in box for real short change New upper drive shaft housing bearingand seals 20 $ Prop shaft bearing seal carrier 25$Mind you new in box.So I go to put the prop shaft bearing +seal housing carrier on to find out the shaft size is a bit larger.the 69 prop shaft is 1 in the 70 is 7/8. So my plan was to switch shafts. At this point I figure I got a frankinestine goin on The shift dogs are allso a bit different were the dog slides over the shaft splines.69 dog part# 0315388 70 dog part #0315799.And as you said I relized after the dog says right on it prop side.I then desided to just find a other lower hydro ele 1970 being positive the new parts will fit that I found.So after a long search I find out that there are many other differences with these lower units between year and hp. drive shaft upper spline corse 4 notch vs fine spline.One guy I spoke with said even some of the water pumps are different. I have the old 2 tube pump and he said the inlinement on some are different.Some are inline at a slite angle VS the tubes being straight across from each other.Alot of these sites I go on say all 3 cyl1969 -1974 and hp 55-70 are all interchangable.That may be the case on some but there are many factors to keep in mind tryin to find a exact match.I think my local boat shop has the unit I need I plan on finding out today I am keeping my fingures crossed for the right one.Is there any more differences that I should no of between these ele shift units Thanks Tony. </span>

I often see stuff like -----------" fits all 2 cylinder , 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder motors year 68 to 72 "----------------Just nonsense !!!!!------------------------Only 68 to 72 will fit/ interchange as an assembly in 3 cylinder.----------------The 2 cylinder had a smaller driveshaft with the fine spline.------4 cylinder had a bigger case altogether and obviously does not fit.---------------Just a lot of " non experts " around on these wonderful units.--------------Most sellers are --" just eager to get the money "---- and then it costs nothing to say " sorry "------------------There was no electric shift outboard made later than 72 and any website that says that is obviously wrong !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, Racer Why do you say that there was no ele shift made after 1972 ? I am a bit confused by this statement. johnson sites show 1974 as hydro ele and possiblly others.Am i missing something here. Thanks Tony

YOU NEED TO DO MORE RESEARCH !!!-------------After 72 they marketed motors with mechanical / hydraulic assist shift.--------------The control box says ------------POWER SHIFT II -----------But it is not electric shift as many people assume.--------------DO YOUR RESEARCH -------------------------I know there was no electric shift after 72 and that is that !!!!!!

Hi ,Racer. I am sorry for qustioning your outboard skills and knowledge.After posting my last post I did do some more homework trying to find out more about these units and then relized what you stated.I see johnson kept the hydro concept but lost the ele silonoids and went mecanical .I guess back 40 or so years these were out of the box engineuity.And seeing they only made them a short time I wonder why. As you say they are simple and eligant.I think it is fair to say ,with proper care they last forever. And with new changes and not understanding them As in general we tend to be skeptical.I wonder if that is the case with the ele shift back in the day.

As soon as " electric " is involved most people become confused and do not know how to trouble shoot and repair.--------------Most shops refuse to work on them because they do not want to repair stuff.-------They just want the easy money of a new assembly out of the box or sell a new motor.---------------People like myself who are knowledgeable are sometimes ignored and I have often heard the comment ------" the shop said it could not be repaired "---------It seems that some people like to challenge experience and expertise !!!!!!

Back