Logo

SX gear chatter

crestapre

I have a joint venture cobra/v

I have a joint venture cobra/vp sx twins (1994) that has a new sound this year. When on the trailer and muffs I hear what sounds like gear chatter when I pull back on the throttle (in nuetral). On occation I hear it when in the water again in neutral but the exhaust noise covers a lot so I don't know if this happens all of the time or not.

This spring I've replaced all orings (upper and lower)and changed the gear oil (Mobil 1). Now this is on twins and they both have the same noise. I've checked the oil level and it is fine.

Is this normal? Do you think that it was there last year (1st year with the boat)?

I really don't want to blow-up these drives.

"Mobil 1 in the drives? I kno

"Mobil 1 in the drives? I know that at least in Scandinavia Mobil used to produce the Synthetic EP90 oil for Volvo drives, but it was definately not Mobil 1. To my knowledge that is an engine oil and extreemely thin. May be the cause of the 'noise' from the gears when running unloaded."

"Yes, they both shift quite ni

"Yes, they both shift quite nicely actually.
I talked to the local marina and he didn't really have any idea until he sees it in person but I'm not sure that it really needs to go into the shop."

Mobil obviously call all their

Mobil obviously call all their syntetic oils 'Mobil 1' and then add gear/engine etc. Soryy for the mix up.
However anyway it sounds like the 'problem' only occurs when the gears are running 'unloaded'. I would just keep on boating!

Back