Logo

SX-M transome assembly Cracked

Bobbyh68

I own a 2002 Volvo Penta SX-M. The Transome Assembly is broken from the u joints exploding. The area where the Gembel bearing rides is broken. I found locally, a 1995 SX transome assembly and outdrive for sale. What Years are interchangeable? I have heard 1993 and up? I'm new here, please help.

OK.... be very careful in this area.
There can be quite a bit of confusion between the OMC Cobra and what became the SX Cobra by Volvo Penta.
This took place around 1993 or 1994 I believe.
Your drive without doubt is all Volvo Penta and is a cone clutch drive.
The SX by Volvo Penta is also cone clutch.

The SX drives are a candidate for an OMC Cobra conversion.... but I'm not certain that the SX-M is (they tend to list the SX or DP-S).
While I'm not trying to show a conversion here..... I'm possibly demonstrating that there are some differences between the early Cone Clutch SX drives, and what occured later.
If the 1995 transom unit is for a Dog Clutch Cobra (and I don't believe it is), it may not allow for a direct SX-M fit.
However, by 1995 this should be the Volvo Penta SX cone clutch drive.

Don S. at iBoats.com would be the one to ask.... or ask your local V/P dealer's technician.
Be sure to give them the serial numbers of both your drive and the candidate transom unit.

Keep those bearing crosses replaced in the future! :D

Last edited:
I saw that you posted on iBoats.
He needs to know which component you are asking about.
In a misnomer fashion, some use the term "transom", but IMO you'll want to refer to this as a "Transom Shield", or perhaps a Gimbal housing.

Be sure to give Don the serial numbers.... he likes serial numbers, and that will lead you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Don is still not sure which component you are asking about, or he's mess'n with you.
See post #4 here again.
Use the term "Transom Shield" and he'll know what you are talking about.

Back