Logo

Time to get dirty boys - Bad Cylinder

SkeeterDog

Hey guys! I've got a Yamaha 175 that has low pressure on one cylinder after the PO ran it after the oil pump died. Now I'm pretty good with tools, but I haven't the faintest idea how to fiddle with outboards. How would I go about fixing this problem? I read "Pull the heads" in old posts but I don't know what I'm looking for. Any tips to get started? What all will I need to do to get her wet again? Thanks!

I would say get a factory manual and read the powerhead section 3 times.----------Failure to do so may mean a lot of posts and frustration.---------Sorry.

Hey guys! I've got a Yamaha 175 that has low pressure on one cylinder after the PO ran it after the oil pump died. Now I'm pretty good with tools, but I haven't the faintest idea how to fiddle with outboards. How would I go about fixing this problem? I read "Pull the heads" in old posts but I don't know what I'm looking for. Any tips to get started? What all will I need to do to get her wet again? Thanks!

Usually catastrophic events occur when any gasoline engine is run without oil. Oil is the engine's life blood. It will die without it. Likely it is the reason for your low compression reading. Does the motor run at all? There might be other related problems that have yet to announce themselves.

It is entirely likely that you're looking at a major engine re-build. If you decide to take on this huge task, I would agree with racerone- get a repair manual, study it and follow it.

IF and thats a big IF, the oil pump went out completely on the motor I would expect much more damage than just one cyl. They are not known for failures as they are an excellent injection system. And the way they work each cylinder would have had to run without oil. I would look at the carb you are going to want to find the problem before putting money into it.

No model # posted----But , but most Yamaha oil injection motors do not mix the oil with the gasoline.-------------The oil is directly injected by seperate oil lines into the intake manifold.--------------If one hose was cracked / pinched / plugged it would do damage on one cylinder.

Back