Logo

useing a hotter range spark plug.

48tony

Regular Contributor
Hi, guies.I have a 1970 60 hp johnson the plugs that I am running are champion l77jc4.This spring I plan on doing a lot of trolling the plugs are gapped at 30.Last season I would troll for about 20 minutes and the motor would start to skip and hickup.I then would open it up on the lake to burn it out.Then troll again.Could I run a hotter plug?There are so many kind of plugs out there on the market.Haveing owned dirt bikes as a kid I allways remembered the NGK.I was thinking of using the split fire.Or am I wasting my time and money.And if I do put a hotter plug in am I running the chance of melting my pistons?I did hear I could change the plug gap to help with trolling.What is safely recomended?When I did my rebuild on this 1970 60 hp I used 30 over glm after market pistons.With this motor being a looper the old pistons had a slite dome on them.The guy I bought the new glm pistons from said that the pistons are flat on the top VS the stock dome .He explained to me that they would run better with todays gas.So with that being the case wouldent changeing the plugs heat range help for better performance. Thanks Tony

A 1970 Johnson 60 hp 3cly should have adjustment for the Air / Fuel on the Carbs. Sounds like Carbs are rich at idle . A hot spark plug can burn a piston at higher RPM. Ck Oil/ Fuel Mix?

Back