Logo

50 Force won’t start need help

ramtink

Hey guys

I have a (I believe) 00-99 50HP Force 2 stroke. I can’t find the exact year anywhere on it. It has the crossfire fuel injection on it.

I checked battery, new fuel, everything looks good (I’m not a mechanic mind you) but it won’t start. I heard it turn on for like 2 seconds and then it shut off… and now it just won’t even turn on. This is after the winter too.

I took the cover off and it looks like the choke isn’t being used when I try to start it. I hear it try to go, flywheel gets engaged but just don’t turn on. I checked both park plugs and they seem to be okay.

Anybody knows if the choke is supposed to engage when you turn the key? Like I don’t see it happening. Am I missing anything? Is there a manual way of closing the choke?

These motors do not have a traditional choke plate.-----Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?----Are you advancing throttle in neutral ?----May need to push key in if motor falters after initial start until it warms a bit.

I just tried keeping it closed by hand and still won’t turn on :s
These motors do not have a traditional choke plate.-----Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?----Are you advancing throttle in neutral ?----May need to push key in if motor falters after initial start until it warms a bit.
yea I’m holding it in. The first time started for like 2 seconds and now it just won’t :(

IF??? it ran for 2 seconds then quit. It's possible it sheared the flywheel key.
Really need to know the year. Somewhere on the block, motor is a foundry stamp. The stamp is usually round with some numbers in the center. Those numbers are the year that part was made.
A few pictures of the complete motor will help ID it.
The "choke" could be two different kinds.
The older choke is activated by pushing the key in and holding it in. That makes it draw extra fuel. The enriched fuel helps it start faster.
The newer "choke" is actually called a "primer". It's activated by pushing the key in repeatedly. It pumps a tiny bit of fuel each time you push in the key. Holding it in does nothing but give it one tiny bit of fuel.
Google: checking flywheel key on Force motors.

IF??? it ran for 2 seconds then quit. It's possible it sheared the flywheel key.
Really need to know the year. Somewhere on the block, motor is a foundry stamp. The stamp is usually round with some numbers in the center. Those numbers are the year that part was made.
A few pictures of the complete motor will help ID it.
The "choke" could be two different kinds.
The older choke is activated by pushing the key in and holding it in. That makes it draw extra fuel. The enriched fuel helps it start faster.
The newer "choke" is actually called a "primer". It's activated by pushing the key in repeatedly. It pumps a tiny bit of fuel each time you push in the key. Holding it in does nothing but give it one tiny bit of fuel.
Google: checking flywheel key on Force motors.
So I just noticed if I put the key in and turn the key only half way the choke will close but it’s still not turning on :( I’m having issues uploading photos . I don’t know why it won’t complete upload!

Might need 5 posts to be able to add pics.
Until then use a photo sharing site like Shutterfly or something else.

If you have the choke that closes when the key is pushed in you have the older style choke( I think the better style)
You need to keep the key pushed in all the time your turning the motor over.

Maybe a little starting fluid? A little won't hurt, excessive use isn't good for the motor.

Check the spark on both plugs. Make sure the gas doesn't have water in it??
Those both OK? Then you need to check for a sheared flywheel key.

Might need 5 posts to be able to add pics.
Until then use a photo sharing site like Shutterfly or something else.

If you have the choke that closes when the key is pushed in you have the older style choke( I think the better style)
You need to keep the key pushed in all the time your turning the motor over.

Maybe a little starting fluid? A little won't hurt, excessive use isn't good for the motor.

Check the spark on both plugs. Make sure the gas doesn't have water in it??
Those both OK? Then you need to check for a sheared flywheel key.
Is there a video on this unit so I can see what I need to look for? Where’s it located? And how can I diagnose it and know for sure it’s the flywheel key that’s sheared?

I appreciate your time in responding btw.

You test the spark on all the plugs??

On the front of the motor is a tab with a line.
On the flywheel is 2 sets of scribed lines. One has 3 lines and the other is a single line.
Remove the spark plugs, insert a long skinny screwdriver in the plug hole.
Turn the flywheel (by hand)until the screwdriver is pushed out as far as it will go.
The single line on the flywheel should match with the line on the tab on top of the motor.
If they don't match ?? then the flywheel key might be sheared.

You test the spark on all the plugs??

On the front of the motor is a tab with a line.
On the flywheel is 2 sets of scribed lines. One has 3 lines and the other is a single line.
Remove the spark plugs, insert a long skinny screwdriver in the plug hole.
Turn the flywheel (by hand)until the screwdriver is pushed out as far as it will go.
The single line on the flywheel should match with the line on the tab on top of the motor.
If they don't match ?? then the flywheel key might be sheared.
They definitely don’t line up. Those lines on the flywheel are almost the opposite side. :(

Double check and then take the flywheel off and check the key.
Getting the flywheel off isn't going to be easy, Google Flywheel removal Force outboard.
Where are you located?

Double check and then take the flywheel off and check the key.
Getting the flywheel off isn't going to be easy, Google Flywheel removal Force outboard.
Where are you located?
Thanks a lot… Okay I’m gonna try and take it off today… what’s the fix for the sheared key if that’s the case? I’m in ontario, Canada. Unfortunately lol.

All flywheels are installed with locking tapers.----They need the correct puller and technique to get them off.----Hurry to your local boat shop and have it pulled.

Like Racer said: take it to a shop(if they will work on it).

I use a BIGGGG 3 jaw puller and a 3# hammer. Loosen the nut, don't remove, leave a few threads on or the wheel can go flying across the room. You might need a torch to loosen the taper.
Yea Ontario(both) are a ways away from helping.

Back