Logo

Johnson 115 2 stroke bogging

Turtle7

I have a 99 (around this time) 115 two stroke motor that keeps bogging and cutting out when trying to get on plane. It idles all day long with out issue. This started occurring last year with it cutting out when running on plane, but it wasn't horrible. Replaced the fuel/water separator and it seemed to help, but it still cut out a little bit after this. It ran really good all night the other day and then it started to cut out again when running on plane. Now its at the point where I can't even get on plane and it just keeps cutting out like it isn't getting fuel, but will idle without any issue. I did idle around for awhile and then was able to get it on plane, but then it started cutting out again.

It seems like when you pump up the bulb now it'll get hard after a couple pumps and then it loses pressure and is soft. Any ideas? I'm thinking of just taking it to a mechanic to go over instead of messing with it.

Model # of the motor ?---Step #1 is a compression test.-----Post the actual values here.-----Water pump impeller replaced every 5 years ?----Bulb does NOT need to be hard when motor has started.-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads . on a test device ?

Follow Racer's advice for step 1. Also as stated, posting the model # will help with diagnosis. This could be a fuel issue as you suspect. When trying to take off, have someone pump the primer bulb at the same time. If the boat goes fine then you possibly have a weak fuel pump or a leak in the fuel system. If pumping the bulb does nothing it could be a 1 or more carbs have a plugged main jet. Another possibility is your timing advance isn't working and you're not getting correct spark.

What color are your fuel lines? The grey lines are lined internally and deteriorate clogging filters and pumps. Grey fuel lines get replaced immediately with black automotive lines. There may be a restriction upstream of the high pressure fuel pump or a faulty pump. Any lines exhibiting abnormal wear, cracks, or damage could be introducing vacuum, robbing the system of pressure, altering flow at a narrow band similar to what you have reported.

Back