Logo

She just won't QUIT!!

kevyrev

Started up my 1990 70 hp Evinrude a few weeks ago getting her ready for the lake and all things checked good UNTIL.... I turned the key to OFF! She didn't shut down! I figured must have a bad key switch suddenly and planned on replacing with new control box soon.
Got my new remote and wired up last night and she still won't shut down! I'm curious to think a bypass has been done possibly as the black/ yellow wire was unhooked from the switch. I also found this black/ yellow wire cut in the engine.

Screenshot_20240518_085910_Gallery.jpg

I'm wondering why it's been cut! Can I test by stripping the end and running from this cut wire to my key switch? I'm also thinking there must have been a short in the original wire and a bypass had been done for kill circuit. I don't remember seeing any extra wire but hard to tell...

That blk/yell in the blue amphenol has to ground pack to kill. There is no way to bypass it without a grounding circuit attached to this wire. Just splice together and test

I connected the two wires and that did the trick! I was thinking maybe the cowl cover could have cut the wire possibly by taking it on and off but I really think it was cut by previous owner.... makes no sense. The good news is that did the trick, thank you for your help!

Back