Logo

Zero oil pressure

martin417

I have a Meridian 408 with 6BTA Diamond Series engines (2004 year model). When I pulled into my slip six weeks ago, I had 20 PSI of oil pressure on my starboard engine at idle before I shut it down (I always keep records). When I started the engine for the first time yesterday, the gauge showed zero oil pressure and the alarm continued to sound so I shut it down. Since the oil pressure gauge and the alarm are on two separate senders, I have to assume I have no oil pressure. The oil level is good. I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verified that there is no oil pressure.

Any ideas on possible causes? Where is the oil pressure regulator located? Wondering if it could be stuck open. Someone suggested that the oil pump drive could have sheared, is that something that happens? I’ve never heard of that. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

The oil pressure regulator stuck open should still have some oil pressure. 20 pounds is low. For no pressure you have few choices. The pump is not turning, the strainer is plugged, or somewhere after the pump there is an obstruction.
Considering the 20 pounds last time, maybe the pump could be worn out and can't pull cold, thick oil from the pan.

Back