Logo

200 hp stalling

sunsun

I have a 2000 yr 200 hp four stroke engine that will idle well and run well at 4000 rpm but when put the motor back in to neutral the engine will stall out. It will start right back up and idle fine and run at 4000 rpm until I once again put the boat into neutral. I recently put new spark plugs, thermastats and fuel filter and it still continues to happen. Any ideas or which direction I should look into to fix the problem?

I have a 2000 yr 200 hp four stroke engine that will idle well and run well at 4000 rpm but when put the motor back in to neutral the engine will stall out. It will start right back up and idle fine and run at 4000 rpm until I once again put the boat into neutral. I recently put new spark plugs, thermastats and fuel filter and it still continues to happen. Any ideas or which direction I should look into to fix the problem?
What make? Honda never had a 200 in 2000

First up try cleaning out the IAC valve located right on top at the back of the motor on the starboard side. It had a gauze screen which gets blocked, use some throttle body cleaner or similar and compressed air to clean it.

I tried that today and Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. I really appreciate the help. Sending the boat to a certified honda mechanic

After reading up a bit in the service manual under "operation" and looking at the wiring diagram, I see where there is a connection between the ECM and the neutral safety switch. The operation description includes that the neutral safety switch has some influence as to how the ECM controls the IAC valve.
So....
I wonder if a "glitch" in the switch might be skewing the signal to the IAC whenever you select neutral?

I also wonder if simply bypassing the switch temporarily might be a a way to test that theory?

Although, before doing that I think it would be a good idea to just unplug the switch and test with an ohmmeter to see if the signal is "clean" as you open and close it. A graphing meter would be best or even an old school analog meter with a sweep hand might reveal a fault in the switch.

Just guessing here as I don't work on these.

Good luck.

Jimmy, the neutral switch only gives start in gear protection, nothing else. Honda should have built in a shift interupt like Mercury to assist in shifting into neutral, but they didn't.I would imagine in this case there is another issue which will be revealed with a full inspection .

Back