Logo

2010 Bf150 possible fuel starving?

codycat

Hello,
I have twin 2010 BF150s on my boat, I have not owned them for long. I've put about 80hrs on them. They have 1200 hrs, but new power heads at 1050 from previous owner with receipts.

I noticed the last few offshore trips, the port motor would act like it was running out of fuel. It would do it when I am cruising, usually after about 5-10 miles of running at 4400-4500 rpm. It would stutter and drop rpms for a few seconds like it was running out of fuel. It would work itself out and then run perfect the rest of the day. (100+ miles) afterwards. I replaced the water separator filter and high pressure filter on the motor, it still did it. I began to think it was the squeeze ball.

In March I replaced the fuel tanks on the boat (planned to do it when I bought it) all new fuel lines and squeeze ball. Honda OEM squeeze ball. Just took it out yesterday, and sure enough it still did it. After 5-10 miles it started to drop rpms and stutter. I adjusted the throttle and it went back to 4500r rpms and ran great the rest of the way offshore. 50 more miles. Trolled for a few hours and when I went to move locations to bottom fish at speed, it did it again, but recovered, and not issues after that, even with stopping and going as we made our way back in.

I was thinking last night, it's gotta be the VST, so I pulled it all apart just now, and everything seems clean in it. I drained it first into a clear container and I'm not seeing any water or sediment.

Could I be looking at a low pressure fuel pump issue or high pressure?

It runs great other than the stutter, and then flawlessly afterwards.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

I should add that when I changed the high pressure fuel filter, I blew in it with my mouth and could feel restriction. But then when issue still persisted I assumed it was the squeeze ball

So, I made my original post before I removed the fuel pump holder. This is what it looked like.

It won't let me attach a picture. But the screen on the fuel pump holder was nasty.

It cleaned off easy with carb clean.

Could that have been my problem?

Hi, just a guess but it might be the file is too large. Downsize the file to 60 percent and try it.

1000003262.jpg

Obviously it's got alot of gunk on it, but I would have thought it would have created more of an issue than just for seconds then went back to normal. It sprayed of with carb clean very easily

Well, you never know. And....that's a huge improvement in my O.

I'll be interested to see how she does now.

Any idea where all that came from? You may have made a VERY wise choice changing out those tanks.

I'm guessing it was 25 yrs of stuff in the old tanks. I have no idea if the vst has ever been cleaned before.

I bought the boat knowing fuel tanks were in my future. Luckily, the boat had removable hatches, so no fiberglass repairs needed.

I'm just amazed that if this is the issue, that it would only act up for seconds, and then run fin the rest of the day.

The only way to know for sure is to try it. Luckily I have twins, so if this isn't the issue, I can still make it back.

Well, you may still have some issues....
....but hopefully not.

If you're lucky, that crud didn't make it to the fuel injector screens. If you still have problems you may be looking at getting the injectors serviced or buying new ones. Just a guess though.

Watching with interest.

Good luck.

Standing by....fingers crossed🤞
Well the parts won't be in till right after mother's day. I'm planning an offshore trip for the following weekend. But I was gonna run it at the local lake before just to test it out, but the real test won't be till I run it offshore.

I'll definitely follow up

So all the parts came in this weekend. Got it all back together, and then took it to the lake a few minutes from my house to test before I go offshore. Everything ran fine. Wasn't expecting it to act up as it never has done it at the lake, but just wanted to make sure i had everything together correctly. Hoping to get a good forecast this weekend and make an offshore run.

Went 55 miles offshore today. On the way out and all day it ran flawlessly. However on the return trip it started to studder again. But this time it didn't drop as many rpms. Before it would drop 1500rpms, today only varied about 500rpms around the 4000rpm range. If I bumped it up to 4600, it smoothed right out.

I think it's fuel injector time. I'm gonna check the vst tank again, but I feel like something made it's way to the injector.

I order new injectors to at least get them coming

Back