Logo

70 hp Johnson cold start problem

Rwhite

3 cyl 1980s hp very hard to start cold. Replaced primer, rebuilt fuel pump, new plugs, primer bulb pumped until hard, key on primer clicks on 15 plus secs cranking 3 or 4 times, idle advance half way. Only way I can get it to start is by pulling plugs and heating them, she then fires right up. I have to leave it tilted up. Coming out of winter storage she fires right up.
Thanks for any advice.

If the starter motor / starter cables / battery are in poor condition the motor will not crank fast enuff for instant starts.----I would say check those items out.----They key must be pushed in and held in while cranking the motor over.--Pushing the key in before cranking does very little for quick starting.

(Proper Starting Method - Fuel Primer Solenoid - Choke Butterflies)
(J. Reeves)

Cold Engine: Pump fuel primer bulb up hard. Increase throttle somewhat with whatever type control you might have UNLESS your engine is equipped with the "Fast Start" feature. Turn key to start position. As engine cranks over, push in key to activate the fuel primer solenoid OR to close the choke butterfly(s). (Fuel is drawn into the crankcase with every upward stroke of the pistons).When engine fires/starts, release the key. Should engine start to die out, push key in (just a tap) as needed to activate primer solenoid OR choke butterfly(s) in order to momentatily increase the fuel flow.

Warm engine: Pump fuel primer bulb up hard. Turn key to start position. When engine fires/starts, release the key. If engine does not fire/start within 6 revolutions, push in key to activate fuel primer solenoid OR choke butterfly(s) as needed.

This is assuming that the engine is as it should be in all respects (Compression, Ignition, Carburetion, Fuel Supply, etc).

NOTE: Many boaters with the engines incorporating the "Fuel Primer Solenoid" use a method to start their "cold" engine(s) whereas they pressurize their fuel primer bulb, then without cranking the engine over (Key ON), they push in the key to energize the fuel primer solenoid. This allows the pressurized fuel line to have fuel flowing directly into the intake manifold area... a puddle of fuel mixture sitting there waiting to be drawn in as soon as the engine cranks over. Many swear by this method... a matter of choice, opinion, whatever. However, what OMC originally recommended is as you see stated above this paragraph... but then again... whatever works for you.

Engines incorporating the older choke butterfly setup..... Of course, with the engine NOT running but with the key in the ON position, pushing the key in to activate the choke results in closing the butterfly (butterflies) but does absolutely nothing other then to verify that the choke assembly is operational. The engine must of course be cranking over to create the needed vacuum to drawn the fuel into the crankcase.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back