Logo

Any impeller replacement tips?

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
I just bought a 1998 Evinrude 6 HP and plan to replace the impeller...any tips you can offer? Never owned one and it runs great but know it sat unused a few years. Thanks.

I have never owned or worked on a small 6 HP Evinrude. Getting ready to install a new OE impeller kit..Thanks for the tip. I just rec'd a factory service manual. Says to use 3 ounces of OMC Ultra HPF in the gear case. Is it any different than Merc.'s gear oil? The oil in the gear case now looks clear to amber. I have several quarts of Castrol synthetic 75W90 and 75W140 Limited Slip gear oil...can I use one of these oils?

Also looking for a good condition prop...not finding one locally. The one on the engine has had some contact w/ few rocks.

Okay...I realize everyone is busy including me...Can anyone tell me if "Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90, API GL-5 and MT-1" can be used in place of OMC UltraHPF Gear Oil?????????????

That's all I needed to hear...thanks. I read on another site that some members say the use of Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90, API GL-5 is okay.

Back