Logo

Bleed restrictors

haventaclue

Outstanding Contributor
Trawling the net for something else and came across this Mercury bulletin:
" B. POOR IDLE CONDITION -CYLINDER BLOCK BLEED RESTRICTORS
Merc 1500-1400-1350-1150-850, 800 (excluding 1969) and 650 (3-Cyl. 1972) models have a nylon restrictor in the intake passage of each cylinder, except the lower cylinder. (Figure 1) Purpose of this restrictor is to aid in the prevention of fuel puddling in the intake passage. Should a poor idle condition exist in any of the above outboards, check intake passages, as restrictors may be missing. Replace a missing restrictor with Part No. A-66517 Nylon Restrictor."
Note it says "excluding 1969".Does that mean I went to a whole lot of bother to insert restrictors and didn't need to?????????:rolleyes::eek:

I install 8-32 stainless setscrew with a 0.035" diameter hole --------------------They then idle " nicely "-------------Install when block is on the work bench.

Thanks for the quick responses.I was just wondering,as I have done what racerone suggests,did it a couple of years ago,and she does idle nicely.
It was the "800 (excluding 1969)" bit that set me off.I'm a kinda lazy SOB:D and wouldn't be a'tall a'tall happy doing something that didn't need to be done:D. And I spent a lot of time,lost a fair bit of sweat,prayed a lot and not the Sunday going to a religious establishment kinda prayers,trying to get those wee nylon $%^&'s in before I resorted to drilling,tapping and inserting those setscrews.
Thanks again for the replies.

Back