Logo

Coupler mismatch

firstBoatOwner

Hi experts...
We recently acquired a cheap Glastron 205gs 1999 model. The engine was siezed, so went to local boat workshop where they had a lot of old working engines to sell. I was able to get a Volvo 5.7 to replace my frozen Volvo 5.7. It was a different model of Volvo(as I could tell from the exhaust shape and also the bell housing was different , see pics) but as was Volvo 5.7, I assumed swap would be straightforward. (My mistake)

Today I am trying to install the new engine, and opened the new housing to see/install the coupler for my SX Drive, and ALAS, the newer engine has a different type of flywheel and coupler assembly. Tried a lot but could not find a way to install my OLD like coupler to this newer Engine. Any guidance would help. Thanks.

Attached picture of newer engine and flywheel assembly, right next to it showing the the coupler that was originally in the boat.

Attachments

• 20240427_143607.jpg
    20240427_143607.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240427_143807.jpg
    20240427_143807.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 5
Ayuh,.... If you pull the flex-plate coupler off the flywheel, the stubby rubber coupler should mount to the same studs that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft,.....
If the bolt pattern is different, you bought the wrong vintage motor,.....
The crankshaft bolt patten changed in 1986,....

Took the flex plate out and yes there are no bolts to mount the old coupler. The crankshaft bolt pattern is definitely different on this one. Is there no other way to mount my old coupler? Did they make any coupler which is similar type but is capable to be mounted on this motor hopefully.

you can try a sierra 18-21751-1 coupler...they are listed as being for an SX drive spun by an early (2 pice rear seal) SBC...

I've never done the swap so I can't vouch for the part...

Back