Logo

How Do You Increase Steering Friction on BF9.9A When Bolt Is All The Way In?

jberenyi

I have a very nice 2006 Honda BF9.9A YLA tiller outboard engine. According to online information, this vintage of outboard does not accept the friction steering kit that is currently available. The only thing you can do is turn the friction bolt in which also has a spring on it. I have turned this bolt in all the way and the steering is still tool loose for trolling purposes. It lacks sufficient steering friction to hold in place while trolling at about 2.3 mph. Has anyone figured out a way to improve the frictional properties of this design? How about using a very heavy body marine grease? What about putting a nylon plug insert ahead of the bolt? I am open for suggestions.

I have a very nice 2006 Honda BF9.9A YLA tiller outboard engine. According to online information, this vintage of outboard does not accept the friction steering kit that is currently available. The only thing you can do is turn the friction bolt in which also has a spring on it. I have turned this bolt in all the way and the steering is still tool loose for trolling purposes. It lacks sufficient steering friction to hold in place while trolling at about 2.3 mph. Has anyone figured out a way to improve the frictional properties of this design? How about using a very heavy body marine grease? What about putting a nylon plug insert ahead of the bolt? I am open for suggestions.

I decided to remove the spring and it gave me more engagement of the bolt so much for the problem.

Back