Logo

How To Disconnect Gearshift Rod

Carlasdaddy

Contributing Member
I have a 1958 7.5hp Evinrude (AD-12) that I need to replace the impeller on the water pump. How do I disconnect the gearshift rod on this motor. My repair manual covers so many different models that it has me totally confused.

Disconnect is below the powerhead. Remove the powerhead, 7 screws plus any hoses, etc. You will need a new powerhead gasket. Also a new 303347 o-ring and a 303355 gasket for the seal plate.

Make sure you get the best quality impeller available.....and it will still be a mere fraction of the quality of the original.

I got the powerhead off and disconnected the gearshift rod okay. But when I tried to remove the roll pin on the driveshaft, it broke off on both sides. When I tried to remove what was left with a brand-name pin punch, the punch bent after several attempts. I even tried heating it with a propane torch, but to no avail. Just about ready to give up, I found a nail set just the right size among my carpenter tools and it worked perfectly to remove the remaining piece. Now, I'm just waiting on parts from Marineengine.com to put everything back together.

Back